British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark240590

CGS grading

Has anyone used these ? I've heard horror stories about how long it takes for a turnaround. I want my Gold Coast 1 Ackey authenticating but PCGS & NGC are going to rediculously expensive by the time I ship to their offices it's about £70 for that alone ! 

You can pay CGS extra for a two week turnaround.

Otherwise can take upto three months :rolleyes:

Sounds a little farcical to say the least ! 

I've also just checked the site for the first time in a very long time and if you don't sign up to a £499 "elite" membership you cannot ship & deal direct with CGS. You may be able to find an agent to help you but when you follow the link there aren't any.. Great.

7 hours ago, Mark240590 said:

Has anyone used these ? I've heard horror stories about how long it takes for a turnaround. I want my Gold Coast 1 Ackey authenticating but PCGS & NGC are going to rediculously expensive by the time I ship to their offices it's about £70 for that alone ! 

Sounds a little cheaper than £499 if you ask me. PCGS have a grading week in Paris from the 13th June till the 17th, cut off date for submissions is the 15th, you'll have it back within 10 days from that point.....

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

I'm not paying £500 like PCGS it will be, even though I'm not a slab fan.. Some coins just have to be in one for peace of mind etc.. I know they're by no means perfect but the mind can be at ease.

I do not know what peace of mind  you get with a 3rd rate company like CGS. Trust your instincts when  buying and if it has been graded by a TPG buy the coin not the assigned grade. For grading yourself use the Rotographics book. The whole world has been bamboozled by micro grading telling the difference between MS62 and MS 63 is very much in the subjective area

Edited by ozjohn
spelling

I never use the Sheldon scale and have about 6 slabbed coins. The other 2000+ are in flips ha !

generally I would put it at VF but it's just the authentification I want really. Again I know sometimes they get it wrong by then there's a guarantee from them and it makes it easier to sell in the future :) 

One of the posters here, Bill Pugsley, has, I believe, close connections to CGS. Although I've not seen him around for a while, it might be worth messaging him for relevant info and questions.

14 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

One of the posters here, Bill Pugsley, has, I believe, close connections to CGS. Although I've not seen him around for a while, it might be worth messaging him for relevant info and questions.

Yes, Bill is the Chair of the CGS Forum and FB Group 'Coin Grading Services (CGS) Collectors', I spoke with him the other day ... expect some 'developments'

On 01/06/2016 at 10:23 PM, ozjohn said:

I do not know what peace of mind  you get with a 3rd rate company like CGS. Trust your instincts when  buying and if it has been graded by a TPG buy the coin not the assigned grade. For grading yourself use the Rotographics book. The whole world has been bamboozled by micro grading telling the difference between MS62 and MS 63 is very much in the subjective area

If you were to use the over critical method that CGS uses to grade coins all those grades in the Rotograph books are 2 1/2 grades too high. CGS have an extremely narrow narrative when grading . I see plenty of coins that should have higher grades than they are awarded and also some that beggar's belief that they were graded so high. And because they have a vested interest in the outcome of any graded coin because they actively buy/grade/sell I take their grading with a pinch of salt now. 

I did read that one of our auction houses have been classified as agents for NGC I posted on a thread somewhere on here 

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

If you were to use the over critical method that CGS uses to grade coins all those grades in the Rotograph books are 2 1/2 grades too high. CGS have an extremely narrow narrative when grading . I see plenty of coins that should have higher grades than they are awarded and also some that beggar's belief that they were graded so high. And because they have a vested interest in the outcome of any graded coin because they actively buy/grade/sell I take their grading with a pinch of salt now. 

I did read that one of our auction houses have been classified as agents for NGC I posted on a thread somewhere on here 

Heritage is a agent for both NGC and PCGS....

• Like 1

if you folks can do any better then why no set up yourselves?

It takes some guts to go into a new arena especially with all the whiners around.

9 hours ago, Coinbuyer555 said:

if you folks can do any better then why no set up yourselves?

It takes some guts to go into a new arena especially with all the whiners around.

You do seem to be in a severe strop today.

However, the problem with CGS is not that they are newer arrivals on the scene. It's the conflict of interest between a TPG company (who should be 100% neutral) and its sibling company, London Coins, who are in the business of selling coins many of which CGS have graded. There's a disparity in the coins which they have graded for sale, and those which have been sent to them by collectors. Add to that one very rude and uncaring female employee who is the 'front end' of their business and it all adds up to something which has caused negative experiences for forum  members.