British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark240590

1797 oval countermark Bank of England genuine ?

Hi fellas I've picked this up but im not too sure on it. What do you guys think ? Normally it's rare to come across Spanish coins when you collect the British colonial coins so even these are out of my remit somewhat.

52294B58-8B31-41ED-B2FF-EE084DBD682C.jpg

28B89DE5-D905-4EC6-B042-1931DA810C60.jpg

A444035B-72C0-43C3-94A7-048CC0F15528.jpg

Looks iffy to me. The punch used was that for hallmarking at the time.

033 - Copy.JPG

I'd very much like to see the entire 360 degree shot of the edge.  The chopmarks also look questionable, so even if the host coin is genuine the piece could easily be an -

,〝after-market" assembly.

While not my area at all, if someone suggested that this was a genuine chop marked coin that someone has (recently) added a pseudo-Georgian countermark to, I'd not disagree with them ...

Countermark:  duff.  Coin and chops: possibly ok ...  But as the 'value'/interest is in the countermark  ...  :(

Here's the edge. The weight is pretty close to be fair it's about .04g less than my overstrike dollar.. The edge doesn't look so bad either.

I thought the c/m looked iffy so took a chance at least I can return it :) 

D9067FD4-0F74-4C90-9A96-DDD296A14DC3.jpg

6CF8B73F-887D-4B96-BD36-24347C04C8BD.jpg

1EF66D26-1145-4715-8BD8-CC40DC2803D5.jpg

0602C1DB-CD35-414D-87A0-2DC237FC9591.jpg

EFC4BD1A-F024-4C40-AE80-89BC235BE872.jpg

7EC08FC0-D8D3-4AAB-9C8D-C363CEE68D11.jpg

With these pics I can't tell a lot, but to be fair there is a chance that the host coin is a genuine Mexico issue. In this space of time, I can't find a match for the chopmarks, but to be honest I don't like them. As for the "head of a fool on the neck of an ass", that's really wrong.

(by not genuine I mean not bank of England issue). Could have been a contemporary forgery issue of the time.

The countermark looks recently struck to me.  Very clean ...

21 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

The countermark looks recently struck to me.  Very clean ...

Yes,  I agree ... The field of the countermark should be more or less , toned as the portrait ..

I like the host coin, nice edge. I think that the chop marks are dubious and the countermark is certainly false.