British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chapps30

Buying online

Just lost out on another ebay auction, don't want to pay over the odds, and still very green about prices.

Other than ebay, where else do people buy online?  I've found CambridgeCoins, looks pretty good. 

As a newbie I feel I'm going to get shafted :o, price wise.   I have the Collectors Coins book, great info.

35 minutes ago, Chapps30 said:

Just lost out on another ebay auction, don't want to pay over the odds, and still very green about prices.

Other than ebay, where else do people buy online?  I've found CambridgeCoins, looks pretty good. 

As a newbie I feel I'm going to get shafted :o, price wise.   I have the Collectors Coins book, great info.

Dealers' web sites, coin fairs, proper coin auctions - all with far superior stock and reliability compared to 99% of eBay.

There are a number of highly recommended dealers on here, depending on your collecting focus and budget.

I would not go out of my way to recommend the dealer you cite, from personal experience.

Feel free to run a potential purchase past the experienced and helpful bunch on here, before you buy! :)

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

Cheers Paulus, 

Info taken on board regarding dealer ;)

Ebay is starting to scare me a tad, can i trust anyone?

23 minutes ago, Chapps30 said:

Cheers Paulus, 

Yes, plenty, Colin Cooke, swcoins, buckscoins, to name but 3, all sell on eBay as well as on their own dedicated web sites and at fairs ... there are many others I use. Normally you will get what you are after cheaper by buying directly, as eBay fees are eliminated.

Are you focussing on anything in particular yet?

11 hours ago, Paulus said:

Yes, plenty, Colin Cooke, swcoins, buckscoins, to name but 3, all sell on eBay as well as on their own dedicated web sites and at fairs ... there are many others I use. Normally you will get what you are after cheaper by buying directly, as eBay fees are eliminated.

Lets not forget the forum owner who is also a coin dealer

Remember also that ebay seller ( included professional ) have to pay a commission so usually their prices are a little bit higher. 

12 hours ago, Paulus said:

Not really, too much to take in, although I do like the crowns.

Get yourself to a coin fair Chapps, there'll be an excellent selection just to browse and get a feel of what you like.

For example, pictures cannot prepare you for how small a farthing actually is. All coin denominations look the same size when they're squared off and blown up in photos.

Welcome by the way ;)

Where does buckscoins get his coins from?  Nice store on eBay, a little pricey for a newbie. :(

46 minutes ago, Matteo95 said:

Remember also that ebay seller ( included professional ) have to pay a commission so usually their prices are a little bit higher. 

Good point, I need to find a few fairs, car boot sales.

12 hours ago, Chapps30 said:

Cheers Paulus, 

You can, but you also have to remember that buying coins off e bay is like searching for buried treasure in shark infested waters. For sure, there are bargains to be had, but you need to be experienced in working e bay auctions to best advantage, as well as really knowing your area of interest, such that it becomes an area of expertise. Not to mention possessing an ability to accurately discern grading from often poor photography.   

I reckon I can do it now, but it's taken 10 years of trial and error, and several occasions of getting my fingers burned, to get there. Good luck B)  

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

You can, but you also have to remember that buying coins off e bay is like searching for buried treasure in shark infested waters. For sure, there are bargains to be had, but you need to be experienced in working e bay auctions to best advantage, as well as really knowing your area of interest, such that it becomes an area of expertise. Not to mention possessing an ability to accurately discern grading from often poor photography.   

I reckon I can do it now, but it's taken 10 years of trial and error, and several occasions of getting my fingers burned, to get there. Good luck B)  

Yes be prepared for that, but don't be disheartened. It happens to us all, even as you become more experienced.

Sometimes you take a punt and it turns out to be nothing, other times not. It's all part of the fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chapps30 said:

Where does buckscoins get his coins from?  Nice store on eBay, a little pricey for a newbie. :(

Auctions

I bet probate throws up a fair bit.When we all meet the reaper who hasn't got their collections recorded.I bet there are many collections which get in the hands of the house clearance mob.

I think it would be a good idea to set up a pinned thread with recommended eBay dealers...just an idea

On 8/13/2016 at 6:12 PM, Conor44 said:

I think it would be a good idea to set up a pinned thread with recommended eBay dealers...just an idea

I second that. I think it would be a good Idea.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Think ebay is ok if your confident in what your buying.

Otherwise full of junk,edited pictures and misdescriptions.

I used to spend half an hour every morning but get tired of looking at Rang Tang :)

Just because the dealer is sound and fair does not mean the coin is worth buying.

What Pete says is right, buy the coin first on its merits, not because a dealer is 'recommended'. I have had several great bargains on Ebay, not surprisingly from inexperienced sellers rather than knowledgable numismatists. But of course there are risks, look at sellers other items and feedback to guage whether they are honest, and know your subject - if you dont, there are many fakes out there to fool the ignorant. What might be more useful is a list of Ebay sellers who are to be avoided, but should be created in the 'members only' section to limit public access. S*x*y would be top of my list, most of you will know who I mean.

Jerry

Many forum members are also coin dealers with some having an online store.

Hello,

I am also new in the forum but I have been reading sporadically since I started collecting British coins a few months ago. I have started with a relatively easy series - predecimal coinage from Victoria onwards, types rather than years.

September is upon us and there are two upcoming auctions at DNW and Londoncoins. I have never bid in these but I feel like having a go at some lots. What is your opinion regarding the grading of these two houses? I use the Rotographic book but I obviously don't have yet the experience to tell clearly the difference between AUNC and GEF. And all the lots I have on target are hovering on the high spectrum of the grading table.

In the case of Spanish auction houses, that I am a little more familiar with, Aureo & Calicó is renowned for graduating very fairly whereas Cayon has a reputation for being too harsh and Vico is the opposite.

Leo

Both DNW and Londons have fairly good reputations but you can't live bid at Londons, you can at DNW but need to register. There will also be a Spink sale sometime in Setember