British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Danelaw

Thames Hammered River Find

This is one of the best conditioned hammered I have had from the river. Uncleaned and very pleasing in hand.

Can anyone confirm what I think it is?

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

• Like 4

Aethelred Last Small Cross, Hilthsige on BA(TH).

No LSC for Bath recorded in North, so certainly rare, but I don't have any records to check if there are any others

Thanks very much Rob. It's very odd in as much as the area this coin comes from produces Aethelreds.

This is the fourth one and all bar none are rare mints, one extremely rare! Two other silver hammered coins also in spitting distance.

There's a hoard being washed up, I'm pretty certain.;)

Keep on digging then

Nice coin Danelaw.You are a lucky mudlarker.:)

Thanks Peter, the more I search the luckier I get;)

Can't find a single image of this coin anywhere. Not one!

Good on you Danelaw.Has it been recorded? This might shake a couple more out with a bit in Coin news.

Going for recording on the 20th next month Peter, Museum of London(with a silver Roman ring I hadB))

Happy days!

Are you sure it isn't a golden ring....you certainly seem to have one.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spoke to a top dealer yesterday, around £300 without seeing it. A bit more when seen in hand I reckon

I may keep this one myself.:rolleyes:

Edited by Danelaw

Had an appointment at neurology unit at Queen Square today, one street from Spink. I took the opportunity of taking the above coin to see if I could get a ball park figure from them, or to see if it was worth going to auction, just some general advice.

A  fella I hadn't seen before duly took the coin to show someone who I do know, who was out the back. He came back a few minutes later and said it wasn't right.

He held the coin on it's edge ,drew it across some white paper and said "it shouldn't do that"

When I got home I drew ten hammered coins across some white paper and got exactly the same result!

Have I got eleven counterfeit hammereds!? 

1 hour ago, Danelaw said:

Had an appointment at neurology unit at Queen Square today, one street from Spink. I took the opportunity of taking the above coin to see if I could get a ball park figure from them, or to see if it was worth going to auction, just some general advice.

A  fella I hadn't seen before duly took the coin to show someone who I do know, who was out the back. He came back a few minutes later and said it wasn't right.

He held the coin on it's edge ,drew it across some white paper and said "it shouldn't do that"

When I got home I drew ten hammered coins across some white paper and got exactly the same result!

Have I got eleven counterfeit hammereds!? 

:blink: Spink..I would get more advice.

• Like 1

I'd be asking the BM rather than Spink right now.....

• Like 2

Funny you should say that, The Museum of London who are in partnership B.M. registered it and had no problem with it. 

Die axis measurement: 3

Dimensions: diameter: 19.39mm; weight: 1.67g.

Type: N 777 (Last Small Cross) (Hild. A)   
Obverse description: Diademed bust facing left. 
Obverse inscription: +ÆÐELRED REX AN Reverse description: Small cross
Reverse inscription: +HYLÐSIGE ON BA
Die axis measurement: 3 o'clock  
Degree of wear: Hardly worn: extremely fine  

This was four foot from the last Aethelred. 3 Aethelreds have come up from an 8 foot radius.

Potin.

DSC_1643.JPG

• Like 2

This is absolutely fascinating.

Another Aethelred off of the same spot, I kid you not.

557655490_lateaethelred.jpg.0fb587756ab678887cbc342564a60ce0.jpg

small cross

Edited by Danelaw
  • Like 2

Oh wow. Even my wife, who is not a coin nut, was so impressed and amazed at this short thread.

1000 years in mud ( the coins, not my wife )  and you pick them up, and they look amazing,  Nice one Danelaw!!!

AEGELRIC, Shaftesbury.

I assume this is the same moneyer as AETHELRIC which North gives as a moneyer during Ae2, while AEGELRIC appears in Cnut having displaced the former spelling. However, EMC doesn't offer Aegelric as an option for any reign. Whatever, it has to be the same person.

...and what would Aethelric think if he knew we would be talking about him a millennium on....?

• Like 1

Oh and Danelaw, in the original pic you put up, is the design below his chin a representation of the folds of a cloak

with a gathering pin?

Yes indeed it is a cloak. I always presumed it was a pin/brooch type fastener.

The streamers coming down the back of the neck were held by a fillet that went around the head.

by the way Lara Maikem  a Thames mudlark has a book out at the moment.  Radio 4 and the Sunday Times have had it as the book of the month.

And a very fine book it is too. Mudlarking by Lara Maiklem

• Like 1