British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1934 Wreath Crown

ENGLISH-SCOTTISH-IRISH-GB GOLD...Show some of Your coins

Any year, era, monarch.....

Here are some of my favourites. Henry VI Qtr Noble MS60

Qtr Noble Obv.jpg

Qtr Noble Rev Henry VI.jpg

Edited by 1934 Wreath Crown

Just got the 1 myself

coin.jpg

• Like 3

englandnoblefr_zpsvgc0gxkd.jpg

englandnoblere_zps5hw2tqfx.jpg

Edward III Noble from the brief Treaty Period in the 1360s when England and France were at peace and Edward III was not claiming the French throne, thus no French titles on the coin.  One I have owned a few years and will likely enjoy only shortly longer as these treasures will be sacrificed to pay for the ankle biters college fund.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, scottishmoney said:

Edward III Noble from the brief Treaty Period in the 1360s when England and France were at peace and Edward III was not claiming the French throne, thus no French titles on the coin.  One I have owned a few years and will likely enjoy only shortly longer as these treasures will be sacrificed to pay for the ankle biters college fund.

Absolutely fabulous. Would love to take that off your hands when you feel you need to pass it on to someone who appreciates it. :)

For the right price of course.....

15 hours ago, scottishmoney said:

Me too, very nice example indeed.

1762 Quarter Guinea. Struck from a rusted obverse die.

C1833-1762 quarter guinea.jpg

• Like 1

Verica Quarter Stater

c1749-Verica Quarter Stater.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rob said:

1762 Quarter Guinea. Struck from a rusted obverse die.

C1833-1762 quarter guinea.jpg

Sorry for what may be a daft question.

How do you tell the obverse die was rusty ?.

Pete.

7 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry for what may be a daft question.

How do you tell the obverse die was rusty ?.

Pete.

You get raised bumps from the surfaces rusting and the degraded metal falling off the surface as it powders.

A more extreme example is this Henry VII angel

http://037-Copy_zps4e1ade03.jpg

My only concession to pennies in this metal. P2149.

http://018 - Copy_zps99cklshs.jpg

• Like 1

jamesvinoblef_zpsrcgl8bli.jpgjamesvinobler_zpso0vvi2cy.jpg

Money and coinage in it's many iterations changed oft during the reign of James VI, this is a noble from 1588, by then the coin in use in England had long evolved into a new denomination with a portrait of the monarch whilst in Scotland the archaic remained.  To further complicate matters there were multiple coins referred to as a noble - issued in the same year!  The other, smaller, noble was tariffed at 75/- whilst this larger example tariffed at 146/8 - it was strictly a one year type and is very rare.

• Like 1

Never seen one of those before - very interesting - but not surprising as I don't collect Scottish coins!

146/8 - as in 146 shillings and 8 pence? What a weird denomination, I expect there must be a reason!

What was the conversion rate of Scottish shillings to English?

On 6/7/2016 at 4:24 PM, Paulus said:

Never seen one of those before - very interesting - but not surprising as I don't collect Scottish coins!

146/8 - as in 146 shillings and 8 pence? What a weird denomination, I expect there must be a reason!

What was the conversion rate of Scottish shillings to English?

It equaled 11 Merks, a unit of accounting in Scotland - with all the recoining going on at the time it was quickly obsolete and whilst not many were minted in the first place the most of them were melted down.

Gallo-Belgic geometric quarter stater

c1832-Gallo Belgic Geometric Quarter Stater.jpg

Not mine, but thought it was so well struck I had to add it here

image.jpeg

Elizabeth II , the sovereign of my year of birth , 1995 .

sterlina 1995 .jpg

• Like 1

One I'm very happy with as I found it myself metal detecting. I had to have it straightened by a jeweller as it was badly bent.

few little scrapes on the reverse but I can live with that. Henry VI Half Noble, Annulet issue

photo 1 [54496].jpg

photo 2 [54498].jpg

Edited by Richard2
  • Like 2

What a nice find Richard. Thanks for sharing.. although it did make me a little jealous :D

My first counterfeit 1808 third-guinea. Now I have 11 different contemporary counterfeit third-guineas dating between 1797-1808 and know of another four variations. Unfortunately the counterfeit gold coins are also wanted by some collectors of gaming tokens so there're more competition in this field than with the silver counterfeits :( This one however only cost me £11 :D
1808-third-guinea_zpslwtbntwm.jpg