British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chapps30

Beginner errors

Evening all,

I've just started collecting, as of yesterday, so much to read/look at/evaluate/get wrong etc etc.  Bought some on eBay for £2 and £5, lots of sites about values, grading, any good books to help?  Grading seems to be the hardest thing, opinions differ.  If anyone has any hints tips for me all is welcome, spent 3 hrs yesterday just looking at coins on eBay, any other sites/places to search.  I live in South Wales, any good shops around Newport/Cardiff area?

Bob :D

Welcome Bob. Check out the grading book from rotographic as a good starting point for later milled predecimal. :) It's a great starter book.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome Bob.  You omitted to say what coins you're collecting!  However .. assuming you are looking at pre-decimal coins, you could do worse than hunt out a copy of Derek's book Nons mentioned.  Look in the banner for The Standard Guide to Grading British Coins: Modern Milled British Pre-Decimal Issues (1797 to 1970).

Not sure about Cardiff but Lloyd Bennett is based in Monmouth an is a reputable dealer with some nice coins.  However there may be little there for you until you feel more confident about spending larger sums I'm afraid.

eBay?  Can be hit or miss, again, if you know what you're doing then it's a huge showcase with everything from total cr*p to the most amazing coins.  However there are many people who overgrade, post poor photographs and claim everything is rare (not me of course!) and so there are pitfalls too.  However, you could always post links or pictures of coins that interest you here and people are always willing to give advice!  There are people here with years of experience covering pretty much every type and denomination of British coinage (except pennies.  Nobody here is interested in pennies)  :P and you'd be hard pressed to find their combined expertise in an entire library of books ..

So ask away!

Other things to consider are ..

buying from dealers via the internet opens up enormous possibilities.  I've bought British coins from as far away as Australia and NZ as well as the US and within Europe.  Use the internet as a reference .. when you decide you'd like a coin search for similar and see how condition and price of other sales compare with yours. 

Coin fairs.  A way to see a range of coins, meet dealers (and often members from here)..

And finally (for now) remember excessive rarity does not (sadly for me) equal excessive value.  Almost all today's value is based on condition (/'eye appeal' for earlier coins where simple degree of wear is not always the final decider as to a coin's desirability).  And there are fashions in coins, like anything else.  What is today's hot may be tomorrow's not ...

Edited by TomGoodheart

Hi Chapps,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with whats been said already, buy the book(s) and do some reading, and ask questions here on the forum. Also have a look at some of the collections that some have on here. Some have links on their posts. Nonmortuus for instance has such a link, as do others.

Ebay is worth a look but there other places, again a few of those on here are dealers or will sell some of their collections when they are upgrading, keep an eye on the for sale section.

Once you have spent some time navigating around the forum you will start to pick up on good places to buy. Have a look at some of the recent posts and you will start to get a feel for things.

Edited by IanB

Welcome Bob, I echo everything that's been said so far, there seems to be strong consensus on these nuggets of advice. Everyone makes the odd mistake as a newbie, try to keep the mistakes inexpensive! Do post pics on here before expensive purchases :)

Hi Bob, and welcome. As you are in South Wales you could come along to the monthly meetings of the South Wales and Monmouthshire Numismatic Society at the Unionist Club, Malpas, Newport on the first Monday of the month (BH excepted). We are generally a friendly lot, and hold quarterly auctions where the prices are usually very competitive. Occasional talks, otherwise a good natter.

Jerry

Welcome Bob! Not much else to be said at this stage but enjoy the wealth of knowledge available here ;) 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the information and warm welcome, And to Jerry, Malpas meeting sounds good as I'm local. ;)

Hi Bob,

Members here are not only knowledgeable, but VERY generous with their time in helping out with queries, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

I would strongly recommend joining your local numismatic society too, I joined the Tyneside NS about 10 years ago and have learned so much from other members as well as making some good friends with a shared passion.

Ian.. 

• Like 1

Hi Bob

This site is a great place to learn. Sometimes the prices banded about can get scary but remeber collect at your own level at prices you can afford. The members on her are generous, helpful and also extremely truthful. They call a spade a spade which is brilliant although sometimes it may seem harsh you will learn. Great place with great people. Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the hobby.

Brian

Edited by bhx7

6 minutes ago, Davethepitch said:

This makes me wonder how genuine my queen Victoria crowns and florins are. :o

Dave

Don't worry Dave low grade stuff is rarely copied.^_^B):rolleyes:

I have used my rare earth on the coins and it slides down slowly and smoothly with the coin on a 45 degree angle so I guess the silver content could be right.