British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

1902 Matt Proof Half Crown

From the same matched set as the crown I posted pics of recently, here is the half-crown, together with the notorious 'Mint-wipe' on the obverse

1902_hc_pf_01_07_1600.jpg

Would love to see other members' pics of their examples of this proof

Edited by Paulus

My 1902 matte proof halfcrown.

Obverse UNC.jpg

Reverse UNC.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks ozjohn, that looks to be a stunning example - it would surely photograph even better outside of the capsule?

Thanks Paulus your coin ain't too bad either. The picture I posted was scanned using an Epson photo scanner. I found that they looked better when in a capsule because when the coin was scanned when placed directly on the glass plate the highest points appeared more flattened than they were.

They are both very nice coins as far as I am concerned.

The "mint wipe lines" do not detract IMHO due to the history (though I had to ask my mate Dr Google what you were on about).  

Some info here http://www.australian-coins.com/collecting-coins/great-britain-1902-matte-proof-sets/

Coin-collecting folklore says that the Royal Mint workers disliked the finish greatly and wiped the coins as they came out of the presses on their leather aprons to give them a more brilliant appearance. Regardless of whether the wiping legend is true or not almost every British 1902 proof coin you will find is hairlined, from the monstrous 5 pound coin down to the tiny Maundy penny

Edited by Garrett
additional information
  • Like 1

Nice coins with excellent images. Ozjohn- your image really captures the portrait detail.

My example was graded by PCGS and graded 63- not great but good enough. I seem to have found better Matte Crowns than Matte Half Crowns of this date.

Thanks.I also have a matte proof florin and crown which I have already posted.

Obverse UNC.jpg

Reverse UNC.jpg