British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest OZJOHN

CGS Again

Hat off for finding one out of thousands you dont think is right.

Looking at the pictures before it was slabbed.......whats your opinion ?.

If you dont think they are consistent with the grading or want to have a go at them....... thats fine ......just seems a daft post :)

George V series is the hardest to get the head around IMO, i gave up the ghost with his coinage

That's your opinion pwa 1967 however the strand is TPG Discussions. A fitting place for comments such as mine on the subject of CGS grading as they are a TPG. Which is the whole point of a forum such as this. If you do not agree with my comments then perhaps you could point out the finer points of grading that make the subject coin comply with its stated grade rather than trying to be insulting.

1 hour ago, azda said:

George V series is the hardest to get the head around IMO, i gave up the ghost with his coinage

I am still new to all this compared a most of you but I totally agree with azda. I started to focus on George V half crowns as they were relatively cheap 8 months ago (is it just me or do the prices for decent George V half crowns seem to have gone a bit mad on ebay/at the coin fairs of late?) and not knowing how much the quality can vary so much year to year. I still find it hard to judge if my grading is accurate or not. It seems the ear on a 1914 HC, which would be gvf on other dates, is EF on a 14 etc. I have actually decided to take the plunge and send some of my half crowns to CGS to see what grades I get back versus what I think they are.

Well seven Half crowns will be going to the post office in about an hour along with two pennys to be reslabbed so I imagine I will see some results back in a couple of months :) I think most will be graded between 50 and 70 based on their grading guide if they are not rejected. I will post the UIN's once I get them.

Good luck with the grading results. I think you have more confidence in CGS than I have.

3 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Good luck with the grading results. I think you have more confidence in CGS than I have.

Have you sent some John :)

36 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Well seven Half crowns will be going to the post office in about an hour along with two pennys to be reslabbed so I imagine I will see some results back in a couple of months :) I think most will be graded between 50 and 70 based on their grading guide if they are not rejected. I will post the UIN's once I get them.

It would be a good exercise if you posted the pictures of the coins you sent so we can all take a stab at grades......

CGS should not be seen as a company , its two men who could be having a bad day, examining coins

Good luck with your grading..........

14 hours ago, azda said:

Seems to describe CGS's MO with George V coins.

Grading George V coinage is usually a challenge mainly in view of the striking characteristics and die wear. And perhaps the bigger problem that is often left out of the discussion is the relief with the high points  having a flat appearance. Most collectors look at the strike with lofty expectations that are just unrealistic. The biggest challenge with collecting coins in general is looking back from the 21st century at coins that are a product of the past. As much as I like this era in GB history and it's coinage, there are limitations in terms of the survival of quality. And a mint state coin just may not have that quality collectors expect. It is easier to be critical in hind site instead of appreciating what remains even if it misses the mark in terms of being this fully struck example that really exists more in dreams than in reality.

Edited by coinkat

28 minutes ago, coinkat said:

Grading George V coinage is usually a challenge mainly in view of the striking characteristics and die wear. And perhaps the bigger problem that is often left out of the discussion is the relief with the high points  having a flat appearance. Most collectors look at the strike with lofty expectations that are just unrealistic. The biggest challenge with collecting coins in general is looking back from the 21st century at coins that are a product of the past. As much as I like this era in GB history and it's coinage, there are limitations in terms of the survival of quality. And a mint state coin just may not have that quality collectors expect. It is easier to be critical in hind site instead of appreciating what remains even if it misses the mark in terms of being this fully struck example that really exists more in dreams than in reality.

Well said Coinkat, a lot of issues simply don't seem to exist fully struck up, what you are left sometimes is with is grading relative to the best known examples ... I am considering an Anne Vigo acquisition right now which is a case in point ... 

Finest known CGS 1703 VIGO sixpence1703_sx_01_cgs_80_uin_37073_1600.jpg

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

If you will recall I "busted out" CGS on gross overgrazing of a Specimen Jubilee 1935 crown that had a grade of 85. There was not only the ugly chloride deposit growing on it, but much more wear than the PCGS 65  or NGC 65 specimens that I also have of that date.

However, in general, I don't think  they do a bad job - just not clearly above the competition from across the Pond, despite the negative publicity those TPGs have had.

Wonderful coin Paulus- And your example illustrates the point quite effectively. 

The original coin in question which started this thread was a modified effigy florin that does not have the minting problems that make the grading  associated with the earlier George V issues difficult. So lets compare apples with apples before going into raptures defending CGS and admit they are a crap TPG.