British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Davethepitch

I must be paranoid

Just lately whilst viewing on a large auction site i have noticed that a lot of 50p, £1 and £2 coins seem to have the word "rare" next to them and it makes me laugh especially the wannabe millionaires selling a 50p for £400 as an example.

33 minutes ago, Davethepitch said:

I have just paid 0.88p for an excellent WWF 50p and a few adverts down someone wants £55 for one. :o

So what? That is why it is difficult to claim that someone is being ripped off. Caveat emptor.

People might try it on, but absolutely nobody is compelled to buy at any price, not even below fair value.

Edited by Rob

Dave, when searching on eBay for a particular coin, look at 'Sold Listings' - in theory this will show what people have actually paid for the item in question. Rarely will this be multiples of what the guide price is for the grade advertised.

eBay is always worth a trawl for bargains if you have the time, but is not normally recommended as the best place to find problem-free examples in high grade. Use dealers, coin fairs and traditional coin auctions when wanting to make 'keeper' purchases, and 'research before you buy' :)

Ebay is worth a look, just bear in mind that prices can be wildly inconsistent compared to the specialized auction houses. At least the sellers have a really good sense of humour though, just look at their gradings. 

Remember too that the dealers operating on there are having to add both ebay and paypal commissions to their buy it now listings, which will be around 12.4% ish.

I bought a godless florin with a CGS 78 rating from London coins a few months ago for £450. On ebay Buckscoins have a CGS 60 rated example also for sale at £450, people complain that CGS valuations are on the high side, but even they only value the 60 rated coin at £250... I'm sure other people can highlight other vastly over priced examples. 

I think you'll find that the one buckscoins is selling is with WW obliterated, much rarer than the normal godless, Spink rate the obliterated at £450 in EF. dealers use Spink to price their coins and he has taken the price straight out of the book. CGS also only have a price at CGS50 for the obliterated WW which is £100

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-SCARCE-1849-GODLESS-GOTHIC-FLORIN-SLABBED-CGS-EF-60-BRITISH-SILVER-COIN-/311501712125?hash=item4886f2eafd:g:-lgAAOSwxN5WaCj~

Yes I know Dave, I've looked at the coin, as soon as a good example comes up I'll be looking to buy one, probably.

But the reality is that CGS value the coin at £250. A fact you have missed. If you enter the UIN code into the website you'll see the actual CGS valuation on that page. You need to pay attention to detail on the CGS site. :) In the 2015 edition of Collectors Coins, Chris Perkins values it at just £160 in EF grade.

But another fact you've also overlooked on your moan about dealers marking coins up on another thread is that a coin is actually worth what someone will pay for it. Bucks Coins have had that particular coin for sale for quite some time now, it's been viewed over 600 times and still failed to sell. Some (read most) would therefore see it as overpriced.

7 hours ago, Mynki said:

Yes I know Dave, I've looked at the coin, as soon as a good example comes up I'll be looking to buy one, probably.

But the reality is that CGS value the coin at £250. A fact you have missed. If you enter the UIN code into the website you'll see the actual CGS valuation on that page. You need to pay attention to detail on the CGS site. :) In the 2015 edition of Collectors Coins, Chris Perkins values it at just £160 in EF grade.

But another fact you've also overlooked on your moan about dealers marking coins up on another thread is that a coin is actually worth what someone will pay for it. Bucks Coins have had that particular coin for sale for quite some time now, it's been viewed over 600 times and still failed to sell. Some (read most) would therefore see it as overpriced.

Oh i pay lots of attention Jared, now that i know who you are, we're now on a level playing field. ;) Oh an PS, CGS valuations are as much use as Spinks are, something that might be lost on your A LEVEL BIOLOGY

Should you wish to continue with your trolling Mr *********** i'll be more than happy to oblige you and a few others with some of the things you get up to when being a mod on forums, trolling and harassing people, using fake accounts etc, i'll be more than willing to help things along, in fact the only thing i don't know about you Mr **** from *********** is what car you drive

Game over troll.......

Just the tip of the iceberg apparently Mr ***********

http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/off-topic-conversation/82093-ok-has-gone-too-far-now-lets-get-some-facts-straight.html

Dont think there is any need to put someones address on a public forum Dave.

You are better than that and think you should take it off :)

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Dont think there is any need to put someones address on a public forum Dave.

You are better than that and think you should take it off :)

Very true Pete, but when this troll splashes my Facebook page all over the forum no one said boo, this guy has been a troll on several forums and has been banned from several for harassment, he's a parasite, unfortunately no one believed what i was saying on here, funnily enough his name has been wiped from the post, yet his post was allowed to stand with my name and Facebook page, double fecking standards

Edited by azda

I've removed address details. Whoever Mynki is, I don't think he's ever caused an issue here. Has anyone else (apart from Dave) ever had any issue with Mynki? Stopping this thread though right now before it gets personal again.

Check the web address i've linked in, oh and it's not me who has the problem Chris, it's Jared who had the problem with me, i've just decided to show him in the light he should be shown in

Edited by azda

I don't care what goes on on other forums or anywhere on the internet, apart from here. And I really don't see a problem here.

Apart from the fact that I don't seem to be able to close this topic!

6 hours ago, Chris Perkins said:

I don't care what goes on on other forums or anywhere on the internet, apart from here. And I really don't see a problem here.

Apart from the fact that I don't seem to be able to close this topic!

The man has been trolling me, splashed my name over the forum and Facebook page, wasn't appreciated that sides were took, now that i've found out that he's been trolling, as i said, its game over for ****** ******

Where has he been trolling you and splashing your name here and on Facebook?

Sorry to the original poster. I'm going to hide this topic until I can work out why I can't close it to further comments.

Re-opened and locked.