British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
stu

coin ID help, George V

Hi, hope someone can help me ID this George V era coin, new at this and my internet search hasn't shed any light. There is no coin value or date, is it a token? Looks like mainly copper metal and is thin and lightweight. Thanks in advance..

head.jpg

tails.jpg

It was a coin, but now is a piece of art. Someone has removed the reverse and engraved the design seen. It started out in life as either a penny, halfpenny or farthing. Approx. diameters would be 30, 25 or 20mm respectively

thanks for the quick reply, in your experience is that something commonly done back then (or maybe done later)? Coin is thin so I guess they've ground it down somehow before engraving, why would they put the latin or french 'honi.......pense' into it as part of an art thing? Is this worth keeping, has it any value, I'm thinking not?

Edited by stu

Hi Stu,

it could be trench art or it could be something someone did for some other reason.

if it is trench art the Honi Suit....... Was possibly used because it forms part of several regiments emblems, Back in the day people were patriotic to their King as well as their regiment.

personally I would hang onto it as part of our history and not worry how much it is worth.

what is the diameter of the coin?

Ian

Edited by IanB

The reverse has attempted to replicate the Order of the Garter.

As in the image attached

33a.JPG

Edited by Rob

Here it is beside a 20p coin, its 25 or 26mm diameter.

size.jpg

9 hours ago, Rob said:

It was a coin, but now is a piece of art. Someone has removed the reverse and engraved the design seen. It started out in life as either a penny, halfpenny or farthing. Approx. diameters would be 30, 25 or 20mm respectively

So it looks like a halfpenny. I believe it was minted between 1911 - 1926 so would put it around the WW1 period. No idea though if the engraving is also of the same time. But it does look like a military emblem, http://www.iwm.org.uk/first-world-war-badges-and-portrait-photographs#&gid=2&pid=2

Looks very much like the Royal Engineers cap badge. I can just make out a GvR in the middle. That would make it trench art and probably WWI.

Can't understand why it's been obliterated. Maybe defaced by a grieving relative?

1 hour ago, Fubar said:

Looks very much like the Royal Engineers cap badge. I can just make out a GvR in the middle. That would make it trench art and probably WWI.

Can't understand why it's been obliterated. Maybe defaced by a grieving relative?

Possibly it was something either rude, satirical or even vaguely insurgent? In which case, the soldier may have had second thoughts and removed the offending bits. But that's just one theory - the grieving relative is another just as good.