British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

jon

Is this a good buy?

Someone selling a bulk lot of coins local to me.

Described as 2000 coins 15kg approx mainly English from 1807 onwards.  Photos are poor but appears to include about 300 pennies and the same half pennies.

He's asking £75 for the lot

Is that a reasonable price? 

I plan to go and look at them so any tips on what I should look out for 

Thanks

That's not bad, as long as 90% of them aren't Elizabeth II coins. Will give you something to do for quite a while. I wouldn't hesitate to pay 50 odd quid for 15kg of coins.

3 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

That's not bad, as long as 90% of them aren't Elizabeth II coins

That's what I can't tell from the photos.

If they are I will just walk away 

I bought a 5kg of mixed copper/bronze for around £30 a while back,  it kept me busy for a month or two. Managed to take what I wanted and sell the rest on for a small profit. 

£75 for 15kg seems reasonable to me, more so if you can check them out in person beforehand.  

Well I asked the seller if I can go and take a look. His reply:

It's £75 for the coins bagged ready to be collected or dropped off. If I wish to browse and kick the tyres so to speak they he is happy to leave it.

Needless to say I wished him good luck with his sale of £75 for a bag of who knows what !!

1 hour ago, jon said:

Well I asked the seller if I can go and take a look. His reply:

It's £75 for the coins bagged ready to be collected or dropped off. If I wish to browse and kick the tyres so to speak they he is happy to leave it.

Needless to say I wished him good luck with his sale of £75 for a bag of who knows what !!

Sounds like he knows you'd take one look and tell him you're not interested?

Given his attitude i wouldn't even buy them for half of his asking price now !!

He now has relisted the lot for £100

He's added more info about them and he even has some with the word KEW on them but he doesn't know what that means!! 

If any of you would like to take up his offer of "a bag of coins" go on gumtree and search for "2000 coins" :P

26 minutes ago, jon said:

He now has relisted the lot for £100

He's added more info about them and he even has some with the word KEW on them but he doesn't know what that means!! 

If any of you would like to take up his offer of "a bag of coins" go on gumtree and search for "2000 coins" :P

I like that. 7 with KEW on, some pictured, but strangely unable to recognise a 50p. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Anyone with 2,000 coins has obviously been through them. His name wasn't Scott perchance.:ph34r:

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Anyone with 2,000 coins has obviously been through them. His name wasn't Scott perchance.:ph34r:

According to the ad his name is Daniel 

Peter was Joking with you Jon.

Scott is on the forum and buys lots of pennies for the varieties ;)

It's early and I have not had my morning coffee :P

and he's a good bloke !