British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

fourmack

1797 Cartwheels 1 & 2 pence Grades please

1797 Cartwheels 1 & 2 pence grades please.

also I have noticed that the 2 pence has 11 leaves is it of more value than the 10 leaf 

cheers Don

1pence

IMG_9245.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

2pence

IMG_9247.jpg

IMG_9248.jpg

Edited by fourmack

Both nearly VF for wear, but the penny's surfaces are dire. The two pence is ten leaves and that's normal.

Fair for the top and good fine for the bottom

Values £2 and £12 , on the plus side the bottom coin has no edge knocks which could even get you £20 i surpose

Fair for top £3 and Good Fine for second £30

The actual wear on the penny is not that great with hair detail remaining and the crosses detail on the shield meeting at the intersection, but the corrosion means I would stick it in the rummage box and get what I could for it.

I would say the Penny has been buried ,as ive have found similar looking surface corrosion on cartwheels whilst metal detecting.

the strange thing is how did anyone lose a coin of that size ?

Can't see how the 1d is worth anything apart from nearly oz of cu.The 2d isn't too bad and I'm sure would get £20 on ebay.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Can't see how the 1d is worth anything apart from nearly oz of cu.

I think you'd be surprised Peter. I see even worn, beat-to-hell examples selling so wouldn't be surprised to see that go for more than scrap. Look at this for example. :o

Thanks for your reply's

cheers Don

That ebay item looks like its been dug up as well - I suspect £4.20 is just a bit of a  freak result  - I would suspect two unknowlageable bidders bidding against each other

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

That ebay item looks like its been dug up as well - I suspect £4.20 is just a bit of a  freak result  - I would suspect two unknowlageable bidders bidding against each other

Look at the sold listings copper, it's far from a freak result. If it's a cartwheel, it will sell. ;)

Funny thing is I have noticed buyers picking out cartwheels from rumage boxes myself , even the ones in the poorest condition sell for £1 or so , I am not sure why these buyers want  vast collections of low grade cartwheels , personally i would run a mile if someone wanted to show me his collection of low grade cartwheels .

Take all sorts I surpose , surely they cannot be buying them as an investment .

There again you often find that the thing nobody considers as an investment turns out to be the best investment.

Certainly anything marketed as a "good investment" immediately raises my suspition that it will not be a good investment

On 5/10/2016 at 11:55 PM, mrbadexample said:

I think you'd be surprised Peter. I see even worn, beat-to-hell examples selling so wouldn't be surprised to see that go for more than scrap. Look at this for example. :o

I've just read the item description "good - high grade". The seller is a complete and utter moron! 

On 5/11/2016 at 0:43 PM, copper123 said:

Funny thing is I have noticed buyers picking out cartwheels from rumage boxes myself , even the ones in the poorest condition sell for £1 or so , I am not sure why these buyers want  vast collections of low grade cartwheels , personally i would run a mile if someone wanted to show me his collection of low grade cartwheels .

Take all sorts I surpose , surely they cannot be buying them as an investment .

There again you often find that the thing nobody considers as an investment turns out to be the best investment.

Certainly anything marketed as a "good investment" immediately raises my suspition that it will not be a good investment

I think it's the word "cartwheel" that sets 'em off. :rolleyes: