British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mattphillips357

Can anybody give me some guide prices for these?

So I came across this site about 10 minutes ago after looking at my large pot of money that I've been collecting for the last 4 years and thinking to myself "How much money are these actually worth?"

I don't want to post all of the coins straight in here in case no one can help me, but I was wondering if there's anyone out there who could help me value a lot of decorative 50p's £1's and £2's as to be quite honest, all I do is collect the ones which look pretty or unnatural, i have absolutely no idea of their value other than their face value!

Thanks in advance!

Matt,

If they are all modern and have been taken from circulation they are likely to still be worth face value. Anything current is only likely to be worth a premium if in mint state. There are a few things which would be worth more such as the undated 20p, or the ludicrously priced Kew Gardens 50p, but not a lot. Real rarities such as the lines on face aquatics 50p and the 1983 2 New Pence were issued in packs, so unless split up are unlikely ever to appear in your change.

A few of the Olympic coins are worth a couple of quid, even in used condition. There is also the odd £2 and £1 worth (consistently) more than face value, and no one really seems to care much about condition in the world of decimal collectors!

Get my book, all the answers are there Matt...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collectors-Coins-Decimal-Issues-Kingdom/dp/0948964782/ref=as_sl_pc_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=predecimalcoi-21&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=0948964782

Buy the excellent Collectors' Coins - Decimal Issues of the UK, available from this forum/website.

You know what, I don't actually have it on the website! Book sales are slow on the website and Amazon seem to sell them pretty well. It's also on ebay, there are a few sellers there. In fact I think the cheapest price I saw for it was on ebay.

On 04/05/2016 at 8:35 AM, Chris Perkins said:

You know what, I don't actually have it on the website! Book sales are slow on the website and Amazon seem to sell them pretty well. It's also on ebay, there are a few sellers there. In fact I think the cheapest price I saw for it was on ebay.

WAS IT YOU SELLING CHRIS?  IF NOT SOMEONE MISJUDGED THE STOCK THEY NEEDED BADLY , LOL

No, I don't offer them on ebay or Amazon but a couple of the big buyers (that get the biggest discount) do. They try to undercut each other by a few pence etc.

Chris

Just ordered your Irish coin book from Amazon.It would be useful to have all your books as a banner on the forum. I often direct people to your books (I'm a nice chap).

There are a lot of Irish Americans out there.;)

Peter,

You are right about the Irish Americans...I'm married to one! :o I am told the St Patrick's Day Parade in Chicago is bigger than the one in Dublin (they also turn the Chicago River green for the occasion), Ha,Ha! I am going to get Chris's Ireland book also.

44 minutes ago, Peter said:

Chris

Just ordered your Irish coin book from Amazon.It would be useful to have all your books as a banner on the forum. I often direct people to your books (I'm a nice chap).

There are a lot of Irish Americans out there.;)

I do keep meaning to update that. There's also a 'Store' feature on the forum which is a relatively new add on. I could list them all for sale there, but it's just finding the time (and, I admit, sometimes the motivation).