British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest adwyn

Dickens £2 multiple errormisprint

Guest adwyn

Hi all, 

so I am on a very quick learning curve about coin value, so bear with!

I have come across a dickens 2012 £2 coin, and asked a friend who is a collector is she was interested, but decided to give it a search on ebay anyway. 
turns out coins with errors/misprints are worth more (who knew! not something you see unless you look for it i suppose)

this coin with the misprint of WIII instead of WILL on the edge lettering was up for several hundred.

also one with beading missing on a part of the inner disc was up for a lot. 

The one i have also seems to be double struck from what i can tell, its very slight though. also the lettering is WIII, and beading is missing in between 1/4 to 1/3.

I stuck it on ebay for the same price as the others with a thought of you never know (with a best offer of course).. but i do think the other sellers may be chancers, especially after reading through your 'ebays worst offerings' thread!!

so i was just wondering if you guys think it is worth anything? and if it is worth holding onto rather than selling on?

thanks in advance, Adwyn

2.JPG

3.JPG

1.JPG

Guest Adwyn

worth mentioning I realise it has been in circulation (obvious i know)..

Hi Adwyn and welcome to the forum.

Decimal errors can sometimes go for silly money on eBay, so go for it and see what someone thinks it is worth.

The WIII is similar to the Premember Premember so called error on the 2007 Guy Fawkes £2 where the diagonal of the R coincides with the reeding, the horizontal of the "L" is there but very difficult to see with the edge reeding. The missing beads is common on this coin as their diameter is so close to the join between the two metals, you can sometimes see then on the outer ring.

Good luck with your sale.

Ian..  

Looks worth £2 to me LOL, worn and a pile of rubbish , should fetch a fortune on ebay