British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Davethepitch

I have missed another Kew gardens 50p

I thought today i had actually won a Kew gardens 50p and was beaten literally at 1 second left and it was snatched from my very eyes so i guess i need to learn how to snipe or however they do it.

Just google 'eBay snipe', there are plenty of sites and they'll walk you through it

• Like 1

But if you bid the most you are willing to pay, it doesn't matter if you get out bid at 1 second or 1 week.

They seem to go for different amounts according to quality which i understand and as such i have looked at sniping but one site said it needed my details like password so i ditched the idea.

1 hour ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

But if you bid the most you are willing to pay, it doesn't matter if you get out bid at 1 second or 1 week.

I think this is the key point here, if you put down the maximum you're prepared to pay, you won't be disappointed.  

Are you being outbid by a lot? 

Why people want a Kew Gardens 50p at current ebay prices is beyond me.They will settle down to £10-15 in a couple of years.

16 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I think this is the key point here, if you put down the maximum you're prepared to pay, you won't be disappointed.  

Are you being outbid by a lot? 

I am being out bid at the last second of the auction but as said above if they settle down I can hang on until one comes at sensible money.

4 minutes ago, Davethepitch said:

I am being out bid at the last second of the auction but as said above if they settle down I can hang on until one comes at sensible money.

Sounds like a sensible plan, it's the only bugger I'm missing, all the others I've picked from circulation and reluctant to pay silly money for it. 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Why people want a Kew Gardens 50p at current ebay prices is beyond me.They will settle down to £10-15 in a couple of years.

Which is still quite a lot for 50p. :P

12 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Which is still quite a lot for 50p. :P

But still better than the average at the moment which is around £35-40.

36 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

But still better than the average at the moment which is around £35-40.

Absolutely. I don't have one as I won't pay that much for it. It will turn up in my change! :P

All of the mintage are being sort after by collectors/Daily Mail readers which make them common to those who want them. The best chance to pick one up I guess will be at fruit machine arcades although unlikely to be picked up in better than EF.

29 minutes ago, Peter said:

The best chance to pick one up I guess will be at fruit machine arcades although unlikely to be picked up in better than EF.

My mate's the arcade manager for a group of holiday camps, and on notice. :D

Very unlikely to get one, they were a highly collected design even before ran their article about how 'rare' it is. I had already completed my collection of 50ps probably a month before they did, I think I paid £5 for it on eBay!

I was going to buy the Royal Mint presentation pack from eBay the weekend before the "story broke", but thought better of it for spending £23, having already paid a circulated version! Come Thursday of that week it was going for £250+

Advanced knowledge of mintage figures could be very lucrative. I wonder how many RM employees bulk buy those issues that they know will see a premium on the secondary market? :ph34r: 

I guess back then, but there are so many different 'limited edition' designs coming out what seems like weekly, it probably is a little more difficult to gauge what will be popular on the secondary market.

8 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I guess back then, but there are so many different 'limited edition' designs coming out what seems like weekly, it probably is a little more difficult to gauge what will be popular on the secondary market.

Popularity will make a difference, but knowing in advance whether the mintage of a commemorative 50p or £2 is going to be in the millions or the hundreds of thousands must help. 

On recent evidence, the Mint seem to release fewer examples the more popular the subject eg. football & cycling are the most popular sports but the lowest mintages of Olympic 50p.

I just got a Benjamin Britten for 75p.. the mintage on that and the prices asked...
coin dealer has a bag of the commemorative 50ps, so usually have a look through there, hopfully one of those will turn up.

I get people calling me all day long asking if I want to buy 50ps, £2s and the like.

I might get myself an answer message telling people their 50p is not worth more than face. There is no point paying a premium for any currently circulating coin unless it is mint state. Even if half a million people collected them, supply would still exceed demand, just that you might not be able to buy one on the spot. I had two Benjamin Brittens in my change last weekend. If you want these so-called rarities, buy some patience with the money saved by not paying a premium

My memory is a bit tardy but I think the mint initially published incorrect mintage's for the Kew 50p.I bought a BU example for a couple of £ on the strength of the lower figure. I've never looked at it since and have no immediate plans to do so. I wonder what the next Daily Mail scoop will be.:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

My memory is a bit tardy but I think the mint initially published incorrect mintage's for the Kew 50p.I bought a BU example for a couple of £ on the strength of the lower figure. I've never looked at it since and have no immediate plans to do so. I wonder what the next Daily Mail scoop will be.:ph34r:

NEWSFLASH - DAILY MAIL READER SPOTTED IN NEASDEN

Following a recent outburst of sanity across the country, Daily Mail readers have become increasingly elusive. One even changed hands for a record £63, though reports indicate the purchaser subsequently claimed a refund via their credit card on the grounds that although they had purchased the tool as advertised, it wasn't the right tool for the job. See full story on page 2.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peter said:

I've never looked at it since and have no immediate plans to do so.

I will look at it for you everyday