British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Paulus

George V 1914-18 Silver

Further to Non's @Nonmortuus post about 1914 half crowns, and Chris Peckris' excellent articles on George V coinage, and many other articles, it is well-known that that the quality of coins produced (in their tens of millions) in this period was compromised. The quality of the strike and the age and condition of the dies used was often poor, and accounts for loss of detail on both sides, not through wear but as the coins left the mint.

I, like many others I am sure, would like at least one example of each denomination from this war period where a good strike using a young die was used!

Could members post pics of their best examples (not 1911 proofs), and, better still, if any are for sale?

My best would be maybe these 

1916_fl_01_02_1300.jpg

1918_hc_02_04_1300.png

Gorgeous sixpence Jaggy! I'm asking about the war years though, 1914-1918

Just now, Paulus said:

Gorgeous sixpence Jaggy! I'm asking about the war years though, 1914-1918

Sorry, I misunderstood your post (because you mentioned 1911 proofs).

I do have a couple of good examples from the war years but need to redo the photos because they are a bit blurred.

Probably the best I have obverse.

1917.jpg

Nice examples, Paul!  The number of these - shillings, florins, and halfcrowns - that have passed through my hands over the years that I haven't been able/willing to give a full UNC grade!

Even though it's die wear, rather than coin wear, I'd still rather reserve that top grade for coins with full detail.  I'd rather think that these are are harder to find in true UNC than to think that true UNC in these years isn't as good as true UNC in other series'.  Technically incorrect I know, but that what makes our hobby an art rather than a science!

Probably the best I have reverse.

1917a.jpg

So, so true Declan, just wondering if there are fully struck UNCs out there! Logic says there must be!

20 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Probably the best I have reverse.

1917a.jpg

Can we see the obverse? It's the ear / tash/ hair - does it exist fully struck?

Sorry I should have made it clearer the two images are of the same coin. I simply ran foul of the max upload of the forum.

These four are probably my best first world war year's half crowns but it seems to be the case that if the obverse strike is good the reverse strike is weak. I am still looking for upgrades.

1915-hc1.jpg

1916-hc-3.jpg

1916-hc2.jpg

1918-hc-2.jpg

• Like 1

That 1915 is well struck to both methinks.

This is my best sixpence of the period:

T6qPZC.jpg

ysncTn.jpg

And this is the 1917:

ZgXHN2.jpg
FfIE5E.jpg

My contribution. Not great at taking pics of silver and still can't manage to get the detail from the Obverse as it shows in hand!!

1916 Florin b.jpg

I'm always amazed that coins like the 1917 6d when close to fully struck with full lion's nose, tail, etc. and then great hair detail on G5 don't attract more premiums when up for sale. I can PM pics but have shut down on being able to directly post....Dinosaur that I am.

Keep the great pictures coming.

In terms of 1/2 Crowns, the 1915 appears to be the most available with an above average strike of the WWI era. The one pictured above is basically as good as it gets in terms of the strike. I rarely see well struck portraits of George V on 1/2 crowns of this time. I looks for these but I have set the bar relatively low