British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ted Reams

George V coinage - India

Guest Ted Reams

Hoping someone out there can answer the question, "Why does the portrait of King-Emperor George V used on the coinage of India from 1911 until 1936 lack the eight pearls in the band of the monarch's crown that are clearly visible on the crown on the coinage of Canada, Australia, British Honduras, and other countries during the same time period?"

I collect the world coinage of King George V. I am wondering if this is a political, religious, economic, cultural, technical, or accidental oversight, or what. Any responses will be appreciated, as I have been unable to locate any reference to this questiion to date. Response to my e-mail <tedreams@hotmail.com> is acceptable. Thanks, and best wishes for the holidays.

Ted Reams

Off the top of my head the most obvious answer would be that it is a different crown. In India, George V was Emperor whereas in the other countries listed, he was a King. Having two crowns (one for being Emperor, one for being King) would account for the missing pearls.

It's an interesting question... the crowns seem similar enough to suggest that they are meant to be depictions of the same actual crown, so maybe we just have two artists' interpretations.

The portrait for India was re-engraved in 1911 because of the "pig elephants", but I don't know if the crown is different between those two versions...

For Canada they changed the legend in 1911... they left out "dei gra" the first time.