British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

jon

1930's pennies wanted

I am looking for the following pennies, ideally problem free unc with lustre

1931, 34, 35, 39

Thank you

Jon

1934 with lustre is a big ask Jon. I have a spare 1934 I will send you some pictures.

20 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

1934 with lustre is a big ask Jon. I have a spare 1934 I will send you some pictures.

Just been reading Pete 's I will pay you thread from a while ago and realise I will not get a 1934 with lustre unless I shell out big money so will settle for a "nice example" on the 34

Yes please send me pics of what you have and also what you would like for them

Thanks

Yes it'll be big money, however it's definitely more of a case of finding one with lustre first which is not easy. The coins from that year were toned at the mint so you have to find one that managed to escape the toning or avoided it from being secured between 2 other coins from that year. Just taking some photos now.

Didnt realise the 34 was mint toned (beginners error, should of read up more :wacko:

Best part of this forum is learning something new everyday! The '39 shouldn't give you much trouble and while the '31 and '35 are quite common I find they're both underrated and will at least pose a little bit of a challenge to find nice, problem free ones. The '31 especially as it has a low mintage in comparison to it's neighboring years.

10 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Best part of this forum is learning something new everyday! The '39 shouldn't give you much trouble and while the '31 and '35 are quite common I find they're both underrated and will at least pose a little bit of a challenge to find nice, problem free ones. The '31 especially as it has a low mintage in comparison to it's neighboring years.

Thats what I like about this forum. 

The experienced ones pass on their knowledge to the beginners giving helpful advice and none of the sarcastic and "you should know better" comments.

Sorted the '34 (thank you :))

So now need 1931, 35 & 39

1935 ticked off thank you :)

1931 & 1939 left

On 27 April 2016 at 6:08 PM, jon said:

Just been reading Pete 's I will pay you thread from a while ago and realise I will not get a 1934 with lustre unless I shell out big money so will settle for a "nice example" on the 34

Yes please send me pics of what you have and also what you would like for them

Thanks

George V Pennies:

The 1934 penny, as a couple of other denominations of 1934, are much rarer than most people think. 

I have only ever had 3 specimens; my current specimen being a choice UNC which is MS64 or CGS 80. The list value I have for this is £ 90 but I paid £ 170 for it from a fellow collector who was selling his whole collection.

Some times you really have to want a coin and take what you feel is some financial pain to obtain the almost unobtainable.

PWA1967 has a UNC 1934 penny. I personally only have 3 other friends who have one.

On the CGS site they have only ever graded 11 specimens and on PCGS they have graded only 4 so thats 15 graded coins within the two companies.

Other GV pennies I feel are rare based upon the fact I have not managed to find one yet are:

1911 - I of Britt points to a tooth which hollow neck

1915 - Dies 2+B with recessed Ear

1926 - First Head. Thinner font 9 and 6 in date giving a wiry appearance

1929 - Proof (Freeman 202)

1930 - Proof Dies 5+C (Freeman 204)

1931 - Proof Dies 5+C (Freeman 206)

1932 - Bronze Proof Dies 5+C (Freeman 208)

1934 - Waves missing to left of Britannia

1935 - Proof Dies 5+C (Freeman 213)

1935 - Extra small vertical line in centre of the emerge line

A couple of other rare coins which I have only ever managed to find low grade specimens are:

1913 - Dies 2+A - The colon dots after IMP almost directly aligned and a wider dye on the reverse

1919 - Heaton Mint - Dies 2+B (Freeman 186)

1926 - Modified Effigy (Freeman 195)

In my mind Pennies are such wondrously interesting coins upon which I could discuss for hours. My main passion are the Edward VII pennies of which before recently joining this site I thought there were 26 variations but now I know there to be around 60 !

I began collecting coins at around 4yrs of age and being 50+ now I genuinely believe that a coin collector needs a least 2 life times to amass a perfect collection or a lottery win.

Keep searching those rummage boxes at coin fairs :-)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Coinery said:

George V Pennies:

The 1934 penny, as a couple of other denominations of 1934, are much rarer than most people think. 

I have only ever had 3 specimens; my current specimen being a choice UNC which is MS64 or CGS 80. The list value I have for this is £ 90 but I paid £ 170 for it from a fellow collector who was selling his whole collection.

Some times you really have to want a coin and take what you feel is some financial pain to obtain the almost unobtainable.

PWA1967 has a UNC 1934 penny. I personally only have 3 other friends who have one.

On the CGS site they have only ever graded 11 specimens and on PCGS they have graded only 4 so thats 15 graded coins within the two companies.

I'm glad you didn't pay too much for that 1934, when the seller first got it back from CGS it went up on eBay with an £800 buy it now price! Ludicrous.

1934 is probably my favourite year in the penny denomination, this side of 1900. It's extremely underrated and one of the few years I would buy duplicates of even though I already have a few examples. Here are the 2 of my best;

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2