British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

The Copthorne collection of pennies

1 hour ago, Prax said:

Ummmm been studying lot 131 for the past 10 minutes and I am trying to understand why people are fighting over it :)

There's a few like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Single exergue?

Got it in one :D

• Like 1

I wonder if the auction site updates automatically after a bid is placed, or whether it needs manual intervention? I only ask as I made another bid about an hour ago, which isn't yet reflected against the relevant lot number. Only took two or three minutes the other day.

10 hours ago, Prax said:

Ummmm been studying lot 131 for the past 10 minutes and I am trying to understand why people are fighting over it :)

Yes, that is a bit odd. It's a nice coin, but very common and not one you would have thought would generate a bidding war. But as Matt says, there are a few like that, whereas (so far at least) there are a number of very nice items which have attracted no interest at all. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they're not being considered.

9 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I wonder if the auction site updates automatically after a bid is placed, or whether it needs manual intervention? I only ask as I made another bid about an hour ago, which isn't yet reflected against the relevant lot number. Only took two or three minutes the other day.

I changed a couple of my bids late yesterday and Neil emailed me back to say the website will be updated Monday 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jon said:

I changed a couple of my bids late yesterday and Neil emailed me back to say the website will be updated Monday 

Guess that answers my question. Cheers Jon B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, that is a bit odd. It's a nice coin, but very common and not one you would have thought would generate a bidding war. But as Matt says, there are a few like that, whereas (so far at least) there are a number of very nice items which have attracted no interest at all. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they're not being considered.

I'd have been very happy with it for £8. Think I went to £14 before throwing the towel in. 

2 hours ago, jon said:

Does that mean I don't have to spend the weekend looking at it every 5 minutes? :D

16 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Does that mean I don't have to spend the weekend looking at it every 5 minutes? :D

I am spending the weekend trying to come up with a reserve list ready for Monday morning when I get an email to say that I have been outbid on everything :D

Mercifully...Neil has written me that the system does not seem to take bids from Apple products like iPad & iPhone. I was wondering why my bids did not seem to register. So I put in about 5 or so bids from work computer; I think the activity will escalate considerably come Monday...

1 minute ago, VickySilver said:

Mercifully...Neil has written me that the system does not seem to take bids from Apple products like iPad & iPhone. I was wondering why my bids did not seem to register. So I put in about 5 or so bids from work computer; I think the activity will escalate considerably come Monday...

More must have iFaults :)

Gotta get me one of these for the phone collection - ticks the dysfunctional product box ;)

15 hours ago, bhx7 said:

Got it in one :D

That's the one I sold Steve and was bought from CC

8 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The single exergue line is quite rare

5 minutes ago, azda said:

The single exergue line is quite rare

Not rare enough to make people fight over them. I stuck one on eBay last year, not particularly desirable at VF or so. Went opening bid for a quid. My thoughts were vindicated. Subsequent examples have been left in the bulk lots and sold or scrapped accordingly. The market for most coins is thinner than you might imagine.

The example like Steve's is quite rare. It's quite common in VF but his is quite pleasing. Still doesn't warrant the current bid IMHO. At least 2 people think it does however so it's worth what someone will pay at the end of the day. 

27 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

The example like Steve's is quite rare. It's quite common in VF but his is quite pleasing. Still doesn't warrant the current bid IMHO. At least 2 people think it does however so it's worth what someone will pay at the end of the day. 

Totally agree with you Matt. I thought the £40-£50 openner was about its money. There are a number of other coin sites with Unc examples for the £40-£55 mark. So think I will hold out and see if I can nab a decent example at a good price. It is a great example but have plenty of time. No rush B)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Totally agree with you Matt. I thought the £40-£50 openner was about its money. There are a number of other coin sites with Unc examples for the £40-£55 mark. So think I will hold out and see if I can nab a decent example at a good price. It is a great example but have plenty of time. No rush B)

The joys of coin collecting :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Seems to work for me, I only have Mac and my bids have gone live

OK well very good then, maybe he's ironed it out. I don't have anything else at home so may send one or two more out. My first few did not go through this past week.

4 hours ago, bhx7 said:

I picked up one from Dave Craddock in EF for £14. Happy with that. :)

• Like 2

I wonder if Neil will remain on duty tonight, updating the auction with the surge of late bids which will inevitably come through.

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I wonder if Neil will remain on duty tonight, updating the auction with the surge of late bids which will inevitably come through.

I'm sure he will..

• Like 1

Is midnight the deadline?

I think it's probably the cut-off for new bids, but bidding should carry on if you're bidding against someone and they outbid you late tonight. So for some lots the bidding will continue past tonight.

At least that's how I've understood it!

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

Is midnight the deadline?

Logically, it has to be, Jon. Only reference is date to date within a 7 day timeframe. No times have been mentioned.