British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

The Copthorne collection of pennies

I thought this collection to be sold by Colin cooke next month should have a new thread :)

Please forgive newbie ignorance Pete but what's the Copthorne collection :wacko:

Its a collection of pennies to be auctioned over a week next month by Colin cooke.

Most dates ,and some rare proofs etc. :)

It's just a expansive collection of pennies, when auctions have a big sale for a collection owned by an individual they normally name it for posterity or future attribution. Normally the collector's name.

I have a few pennies from the Dr. Findlow collection, it helps refer back for the history of a coin. 

2 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its a collection of pennies to be auctioned over a week next month by Colin cooke.

Most dates ,and some rare proofs etc. :)

Is it an online auction ?

2 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

It's just a expansive collection of pennies, when auctions have a big sale for a collection owned by an individual they normally name it for prosperity or future attribution. Normally the collector's name.

I have a few pennies from the Dr. Findlow collection, it helps refer back for the history of a coin. 

I did wonder if that was the case.

Thanks for explaining :)

Not sure if it's online bidding or not, I've never bought from Colin Cooke except directly. Pete can help answer that though I'm sure.

Is there a link, can't see one on the Colin Cooke site?

12 minutes ago, jon said:

I did wonder if that was the case.

Thanks for explaining :)

Its an auction that is done over a week.

You make a bid via email / phone if you are outbid you are notified and can have a think if you wish to go higher.

Nice way to do things as rather than a coin being sold in seconds and you come away possibly thinking you should of bid again ,you can have a think first.

Works both ways and can also......... not get you caught up bidding  and possibly paying more than you should have :D

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, davidrj said:

Is there a link, can't see one on the Colin Cooke site?

I think the link/catalogue is out early next week. Rest assured, it's an extremely comprehensive and well attributed collection, another one that some of us will have to pick and choose about which rarities we can afford and which we can let go!

At least by the sounds of it it's not a put a highest bid down and hope you win, easier to manage what you'll end up paying.

• Like 1

I will look forward to this.

In the market now to add to my penny collection but only want "common" ones just yet.

Will be leaving the rare ones for you lot :P

28 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Something for everyone Jon :)

There might be if you lot leave anything... :P

• Like 2

:lol:

How do I find the forum please

Ah yes, I know whose collection it is now. Some nice specimens.

Jerry

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

I thought this collection to be sold by Colin cooke next month should have a new thread :)

Wow, this is really sounding interesting. 

3 hours ago, jelida said:

Ah yes, I know whose collection it is now. Some nice specimens.

Jerry

Hmmm, I've sort of an idea, but am not sure as I can't actually view the collection I think it might be. 

Actually, would it by any remote chance be Steve's collection?

15 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Actually, would it by any remote chance be Steve's collection?

Why does this seem to be some sort of secret, surely the seller would want this to be as widely advertised as possible?

20 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Why does this seem to be some sort of secret, surely the seller would want this to be as widely advertised as possible?

You'd have thought so, wouldn't you.

I dont think it is a secret, his site was advertised below his posts before the forum server change, and is still available if you google 'my penny collection', near the top of results for me. Comparison with the CC photos in Coin News confirms the link.

Jerry

14 minutes ago, jelida said:

I dont think it is a secret, his site was advertised below his posts before the forum server change, and is still available if you google 'my penny collection', near the top of results for me. Comparison with the CC photos in Coin News confirms the link.

Jerry

It is Steve's collection  then. Very nice too. 

Edited by 1949threepence
link didn't work
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:
26 minutes ago, Paulus said:

You'd have thought so, wouldn't you.

It was never going to stay a secret on a forum that's 50% penny collectors - be serious. I wondered which route he would take.