British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

The Copthorne collection of pennies

Looking forward to next week when I can upgrade my collection 

5 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Stop drinking so much in the evenings Jon :P

Noted. :wacko:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Curiouser and curiouser. Neil thinks I placed a bid for the 1919KN at £66, and emailed me the information from his server or whatever it is. There were some problems on the site on 17th when bids weren't being recognised, so it might have happened then but every bid I initially placed was for the low estimate, just to give myself the opportunity to rebid. £66 is not an amount I would have bid.

Strange, but I need an upgrade so have taken it. :D

It is odd. I'm just trying to envisage how you and the actual bidder could be mixed up. Had you already made a bid for that coin at a lower amount? 

30 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It is odd. I'm just trying to envisage how you and the actual bidder could be mixed up. Had you already made a bid for that coin at a lower amount? 

No, I'm pretty sure I hadn't. I placed about 7-8 bids on the opening night but only about 5 registered. Neil emailed me to say there had been some issues, told me the bids he had and I confirmed the ones that hadn't registered. I actually changed my mind about one that hadn't registered so even though I tried to bid on it, it didn't sell. 

It's the amount - not a chance I would have bid £66 as an opener on a £40-50 estimate. I'd have bid £40 and waited to see what happened. I don't think it's a mix up with another bidder - I think it's a spurious glitch that's led to a happy accident. Think it looks ok for the price. 

Might be something to do with the lot number - 166 for £66? Seems more than a coincidence.

It was meant to be...

Edited by mrbadexample

46 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

No, I'm pretty sure I hadn't. I placed about 7-8 bids on the opening night but only about 5 registered. Neil emailed me to say there had been some issues, told me the bids he had and I confirmed the ones that hadn't registered. I actually changed my mind about one that hadn't registered so even though I tried to bid on it, it didn't sell. 

It's the amount - not a chance I would have bid £66 as an opener on a £40-50 estimate. I'd have bid £40 and waited to see what happened. I don't think it's a mix up with another bidder - I think it's a spurious glitch that's led to a happy accident. Think it looks ok for the price. 

Might be something to do with the lot number - 166 for £66? Seems more than a coincidence.

It was meant to be...

All the sixes....fate, Jon, fate ;)

Well done, anyway. Neat capture.

Think there were some mix ups.
"Apologies!!! For some reason we had you down for that one and then by pure coincidence the person who has actually won it has just phoned!!
I have revised the totals"
I got lots 39, 65,92.:D
Edited by Danz

now to work out how to pay by card.

16 hours ago, scott said:

now to work out how to pay by card.

Well that was easy, Scott. I rang yesterday lunchtime and gave my card details to Lee. Your account won't be debited until the consignment is sent, Neil has confirmed.

It seemed there was not much love for the Edward VII coins??

16 hours ago, VickySilver said:

It seemed there was not much love for the Edward VII coins??

I did go for the 1909 but was outbid. ?

I won the 1902 and the 1906. The 06 is a weak strike but looked OK for the money.  The 02 I am hoping is better in hand.

I was the "guilty"party on the '05s (yes, I liked the cleaned one also), the '07 and the '09 - sorry that was me. I thought those prices entirely reasonable. The OMS  QE II I had to let go of as with premium that now approaches 600 quid and far more than I have paid in the past for similar issues; maybe that is the new price for these??

That must mean the market is thinner than you think

46 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Cant be many that forum members didnt buy :)

I wonder who got the 1922 with 1927 reverse. That went for over £7k.  

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I wonder who got the 1922 with 1927 reverse. That went for over £7k.  

That would be me

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paulus said:

No it wasn't, I'm lying

I was just about to say, well done :o 

whoever it was.. feel free to send it to me for Christmas :P

• Like 1

Now that this sale has completed, apart from a couple of pieces which seem to be rumbling on, I wonder whether members have views regarding  selling one’s  collection in this way as opposed to through a traditional auction house………. for example thinking of the recent Elstree collection.

I quite enjoyed that type of auction, but I suppose I was bidding and not selling. I think I would prefer an auction house though because I think they have a bigger client base and can therefore reach more customers. I would also say that the quick-fire and pressured situation an auction brings might cause some people to bid higher than they should, because you don't have the luxury of time to think.

As a buyer, I much prefer this sort of auction as it allows me to take an overall view of the lots and bid accordingly whereas on a lot by lot basis in a normal auction, once a lot has gone you have no chance to go back and increase a bid when you realise that you could and should have bid higher. As a seller, like Matt says, I've no idea of the size of audience for Colin Cooke's sale but suspect it may be smaller than the big auction houses.

As a newbie to any form of coin auction, I thought it was a relaxed easy way of bidding with the opportunity to rethink and rebid when coins started to go above what one wanted to pay for them. 

If I had a criticism it would be that the bids were not updated often enough and not all at the same time. Especially last thing at night leaving people to wonder all night. Not the greatest of problems but should have been easy to resolve.