British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

The Copthorne collection of pennies

Only two to possibly interest me initially - the no legend reverse Moore and the unadopted 1797 designs pattern, but the latter is too spotty and the former has a spot of verd too on the reverse behind Britannia.

13 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I don't like the waiting. I've got to sit here for a week hoping that Pete doesn't want what I want. :(

I will always sell it you Jon ;)

52 minutes ago, Rob said:

Only two to possibly interest me initially - the no legend reverse Moore and the unadopted 1797 designs pattern, but the latter is too spotty and the former has a spot of verd too on the reverse behind Britannia.

I really like the 1797 pattern. Not enough to spring 1k plus for it though. 

I keep getting outbid notices. :(

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

I will always sell it you Jon ;)

Just don't buy it in the first place eh? :P

Only a couple for me Jon so dont think you have anything to bother about and one in a slab :)

5 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I got an email from Neil yesterday morning as he was aware (somehow) that not all of the bids I'd tried to place had been registered. They're both showing now. :P

Got confirmation from Neil this morning. :rolleyes:B)

12 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Only a couple for me Jon so dont think you have anything to bother about and one in a slab :)

You've probably got most of them anyway. I had great difficulty narrowing it down to about 8. :blink:

stop outbidding me on the cheap stuff dangit have to bid 17 quid on the 1904 washer now :(

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I had great difficulty narrowing it down to about 8. :blink:

Same here.

Managed to get mine down to 7 with a couple in reserve.

Just entered my bids so it will be interesting to see if I am still in the race this time tomorrow :unsure:

8 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I suppose, but at the moment I don't get many opportunties to do historical research on provenance mainly due to the coins I'm buying, so I don't mind too much!

I get that for you it's more frequent! Although I know that Steve definitely has the information available, so any you do buy (if you do) he can probably shed a little more light.

I know for sure that one of Steve's coins does have lengthy provenance dating back to a Glendinings auction in 1940. It is noted on his website and there is even a thread on here about it. But Neil has just noted it as being ex Mark Rasmussen. It's the 1868 copper proof. Pretty much F D C apart from a minor blemish by the date.

7 hours ago, bhx7 said:

Got confirmation from Neil this morning. :rolleyes:B)

Still no confirmation for me, but my bids have definitely taken. 

• Like 1

the 1868 would be one i would buy if i had the money. :(

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Any ideas on what is meant by "struck on a smaller diameter foreign flan, therefore no rim." (Lot 213)? The reason I ask is because although in the CC picture on the obv. it looks as if there is no rim from about 5 o'clock to 1 o'clock, looking at Steve's pictures the rim is fully present..

I think I've worked out what he means. The last time it was up for auction (Spink 2003) it was sold with a 1967 OMS. As per the description:

Elizabeth II, Mistruck off-metal Pennies (2), 1966, struck on a foreign brass flan, possibly Jamaican, 1967, struck on a smaller diameter foreign flan, therefore no rim.

I think the description has just been lifted from there and amended incorrectly, as the rim is very much present on the 1966.

10 hours ago, scott said:

the 1868 would be one i would buy if i had the money. :(

But you could afford it, just you have made a decision to collect diversity in quantity over a smaller selection of specific pieces. I haven't done the sums, but if you added up all the prices you have listed in the various acquisition threads it is clear you could afford it several times over. And if not that one, something similar.

Neil's ever so friendly. Keeps emailing me. Outbid again, this time on the one I really wanted. :(

Neil must be updating all the bids as I have just had an outbid email too :(

Looks like I am still hanging in there:P

On 20 May 2016 at 6:57 PM, jon said:

Neil must be updating all the bids as I have just had an outbid email too :(

Balls, ones of mine too.

The one I really wanted went over my limit almost instantly:(. Waiting to see were it goes!!!!!!!

49 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

The one I really wanted went over my limit almost instantly:(. Waiting to see were it goes!!!!!!!

The one I really wanted was way over my limit at the lowest estimate. Tough to bid again. <sob> :(

On 20 May 2016 at 10:09 PM, bhx7 said:

Single exergue?

• Like 1

I might have a bid on that 1964 error. :ph34r:

Ummmm been studying lot 131 for the past 10 minutes and I am trying to understand why people are fighting over it :)

no idea, can get one just as good for £20

4 minutes ago, Prax said:

Ummmm been studying lot 131 for the past 10 minutes and I am trying to understand why people are fighting over it :)

I was the first bidder because I thought it was a decent example and cheap. Now it's not cheap and I'm out. :P