British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

The Copthorne collection of pennies

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

That's how I understand it anyway, Jon. Hope it makes sense.        

It does, thanks Mike. :)

Just been preparing my bids and I noticed that both lot 84 and 85 look like 7+Hs Heaton mint. Lot 84 is possibly not a 7+G as stated. For anyone looking to bid make sure you speak to Steve or Neil before placing bids.

Edited by Prax

Yes - Lot 84 photo is definitely rev H (Gouby j) small date.

This is what I believe happens if late bids are made just before auction ends. Only bidders that were bidding on the coin before the auction ends can make offers for the particular coin after auction end time. these bidders will be informed of the highest bid and will be expected to inform CC when they have made their final bid. The auction on the particular coin will end after the highest uncontested bid is made. If only one bid is made on a coin at lower estimate at 23:59 the coin will be sold to that bidder. Sometimes bids for some coins may continue for days after auction time ends. Offers can then be made on any unsold lots, possibly the owner of the coins may accept below estimate offers.

6 hours ago, Prax said:

Just been preparing my bids and I noticed that both lot 84 and 85 look like 7+Hs Heaton mint. Lot 84 is possibly not a 7+G as stated. For anyone looking to bid make sure you speak to Steve or Neil before placing bids.

Yes, and with regard to lot 85, despite the sparkling description, there are what look like to me, disappointing score marks on the reverse, at 1 o'clock, radiating South Westwards into the field, and to some extent across Britannia. Although I note the coin is slabbed, so maybe the marks are on the slab itself?    

6 hours ago, Prax said:

Hi,

Thank you for noticing this!  I've taken a look and Neil appears to have used a photo of a coin I don't recognise.  It's certainly not the Freeman 71 I have for sale!

Also the photo of Lot 85 is terrible, with a large fingerprint and other marks which certainly aren't on the coin.

I'll get Neil to look at these tomorrow and sort out the correct photos.

• Like 2

Three questions I sent to Neil Paisley, and the answers I got. Very much in line with what we already thought, but at least it's confirmation:-

----- Original Message -----
To: Michael
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2016 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: The Copthorne collection

Hi Michael,
You can send in bids now however the sale doesn't start until the 17th so we wouldn't upload them until then.
The lower estimate is the reserve so that has to be the minimum though after the sale finishes the vendor might consider a lower offer.
Yes there will still be a buyers premium as we are selling these coins on behalf of the vendor.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,
Neil 

Sent from my iPhone

On 6 May 2016, at 17:17, Michael  wrote:

Hi Neil,

There are items I am definitely very interested in. But one or two quick questions:-

1/ Can we start bidding now, or do we have to wait until 17th May?

2/ Can we bid lower than the low estimate, or is that a minimum?

3/ When you relist any unsold coins at the low estimate, will there still be a buyer's premium?

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Michael 

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing Mike, bids will be sent tomorrow then! :) 

• Like 2

I will offer 99p for all unbought lots :P

On 23 April 2016 at 0:55 AM, Rob said:

It was never going to stay a secret on a forum that's 50% penny collectors - be serious. I wondered which route he would take.

It has surprised me that he is selling up the collection, but he hasn't participated much on the forum for quite some time. Hopefully accumulator enjoys the fruits of his labour, will certainly miss his input and the coins he bought from time to time, will the reference website still be live after selling?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, azda said:

It has surprised me that he is selling up the collection, but he hasn't participated much on the forum for quite some time. Hopefully accumulator enjoys the fruits of his labour, will certainly miss his input and the coins he bought from time to time, will the reference website still be live after selling?

Probably, but even if not, I'd bet that Colin Cooke will keep it as a reference, just as they have the Alderley, Crocker, Edinburgh, Workman etc, collections. So that anybody can take a look at them in the future.  

• Like 1

On 5/10/2016 at 1:15 PM, 1949threepence said:

Probably, but even if not, I'd bet that Colin Cooke will keep it as a reference, just as they have the Alderley, Crocker, Edinburgh, Workman etc, collections. So that anybody can take a look at them in the future.  

Plus, I'll be keeping the dedicated Copthorne Collection, hard copy catalogue, just received today. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Plus, I'll be keeping the dedicated Copthorne Collection, hard copy catalogue, just received today. 

Yep, catalogue just landed :)

Looking at the catalogue.

Big hat off to Neil for doing a good job with the catalogue 

A lot of people mention dealers for the wrong reasons IMO.

In this case think its quality........ pictures etc :)

Pete.

• Like 1

Agreed about the catalogue. An excellent production with razor sharp images.

I note that no alteration has yet been made to lot 85, referred to by Steve above, which shows score marks radiating South Westwards from 1 o'clock, and a fingerprint over the shield, to the slabbed Freeman 73, which does look amazingly good on Steve's website, but not so good in the CC pic. It's definitely the same coin, as some of the blemishes are clearly visible in the same places in both pics. Too late for the catalogue, but I'm slightly surprised the website photo hasn't been changed, as Steve was going to request.

I assume that the marks are on the slab case. 

On 12/05/2016 at 2:07 PM, Paulus said:

Yep, catalogue just landed :)

How do I get hold of a hard copy of the catalogue?  

Nice job by Neil

• Like 2

Well I once asked for feedback on Colin Cooke and as it was all positive on here I've bought coins from them. I've found Neil to be very helpful and would have no issues in recommending Colin Cooke to other collectors. It's a damned shame that dealers like them are put off using forums due to a very, very small number of dealer hating, wannabee idjits! 

I'll be making a couple of bids on this auction anyway. :) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Well I once asked for feedback on Colin Cooke and as it was all positive on here I've bought coins from them. I've found Neil to be very helpful and would have no issues in recommending Colin Cooke to other collectors. It's a damned shame that dealers like them are put off using forums due to a very, very small number of dealer hating, wannabee idjits! 

No one hates dealers, more the obscene amounts they can charge compared to the price paid. One example of this is the 120k coin sold at the Spink Slaney sale now asking for 220k for the same coin, a little ridiculous IMO

7 hours ago, Mynki said:

I have bought quite a few coins from Neil over the last few years and been pleased with both the coins and the service. Nothing but praise for them.