British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

The Copthorne collection of pennies

All the very best with the sale.

Thanks Prax. It's nice to have 2 lots of pictures of the same coin, i.e Steve's pictures and also the CC pictures. Helps get a bit more of a grasp on what it might look like when you're not able to view the coins in hand.

1 hour ago, Prax said:

Having read the instructions I assume we can't start bidding until 17th May. At least we are informed if we get outbid in that 7 day period, and they show the current high bid. Seems eminently fair to me.

I'm not too sure either, I was going to put my bids in before that anyway and if there's a problem then I'll just resubmit again after the 17th. I agree though, I quite like the relaxed bidding format, easier to money manage and also have a think before you hastily put an excessive bid down.

• Like 1

I have always liked this format, it can be a bit more drawn out, but I agree it is nice to have time to think and reflect and prioritise. It would be interesting to see which method realises the most for the vendor, but I suppose that could never be truly established.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I'm not too sure either, I was going to put my bids in before that anyway and if there's a problem then I'll just resubmit again after the 17th. I agree though, I quite like the relaxed bidding format, easier to money manage and also have a think before you hastily put an excessive bid down.

I think I might do the same, Matt. As you say, another bid can be made after 17th if there's an issue. Must say as well that some of the coins look different in the Colin Cooke photos, to the way they look in Steve's.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I think I might do the same, Matt. As you say, another bid can be made after 17th if there's an issue. Must say as well that some of the coins look different in the Colin Cooke photos, to the way they look in Steve's.

Exactly what I was thinking, the benefit of having 2 sets of photos. Not normally the case and will be interesting to compare the ones I want to bid on when I have the time.

Remarkably, there is even one for me. :)

Believe it or not I am tempted...I do like trying to get a lot from such a collection 

1 hour ago, scott said:

Those Prices.. Ouch

But that quality....wow 

4 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Exactly what I was thinking, the benefit of having 2 sets of photos. Not normally the case and will be interesting to compare the ones I want to bid on when I have the time.

I have compared both sets of photos for the lots I am interested in and they are all different.

What I find great about this auction is that there is something to suit all pockets. All quality too! I have now registered with Colin Cooke as I had not previously. Brilliant collection

Just playing around with the data, the low estimate of the whole collection is £72,000 and the high £83,000.

So that's what it takes to build up a decent penny collection :D 

2 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Just playing around with the data, the low estimate of the whole collection is £72,000 and the high £83,000.

So that's what it takes to build up a decent penny collection :D 

I give up then. :(

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

:)

It's all right for you to smile Pete, you've got 'em all already. :P

I would have put the number higher, but there again, there are a few gaps and it is very light on proofs or patterns.

Just now, Rob said:

I would have put the number higher, but there again, there are a few gaps and it is very light on proofs or patterns.

I still think it would meet the definition of a "decent" collection. :D

• Like 1

No complaints about it - it's just that I wouldn't feel able to leave the oddballs off the list, which would need to be as complete as the currency pieces. That's the obsessive completionist in me.

32 minutes ago, Rob said:

No complaints about it - it's just that I wouldn't feel able to leave the oddballs off the list, which would need to be as complete as the currency pieces. That's the obsessive completionist in me.

Thats why Rob i would never buy a proof as would send me insane knowing some i would never find and after buying one would carry on looking all the time.

FYI... I spoke with Neil at Colin Cooke's today and pointed out that some of the slabbed coins appear to show fingerprints.  These are definitely not on the coins themselves and so he has promised to re-photograph (after wiping the slabs clean).  Hopefully my own website photos bear this out.  Also some of the model pennies are in perspex cases and these will be re-photographed too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats why Rob i would never buy a proof as would send me insane knowing some i would never find and after buying one would carry on looking all the time.

I would like a few more proofs, especially those with provenance going back a long way. An example would be Steve's 1868 copper proof, which goes all the way back to a Glendinning's auction/sale in 1940.