British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DrP

Old Greek coin or fake?

Bought this with a fake Roman coin at a boot fair. I knew the Roman one was a fake, but what about this? I know nothing about these at all. I looked online for similar things and it looks Greek. I've seen similar in the £2 to £700 range, lol. anyone know what it is? It has a nice weight to it and it similar size to a 5p coin.

IMG_2674.JPG

here is the size comparison. it is 6.35g.

IMG_2673.JPG

Thanks again - looking up  Caria, Knidos has given me lot to go on already. I'll get a better picture of the head side.

is this better for for the head pic? I guess this is Aphrodite then. :-)

IMG_2680.JPG

Always amazed at the quality of strike on ancient Greek stuff, keep meaning to buy a cheap one as an example, but lack of knowledge makes me wary of buying a fake

• Like 1

Awesome Rooneydog, thanks...  That's exactly it... it has the Pi symbol top right and the remains of the Z bottom left in the incursive square with aphrodite's head with ponytail and earring. Mine seems in better condition...  if it isn't a copy (how would I tell? I'm pretty sure the Roman one I got from the same guy was a copy). Quite encouraging that it went for £160. :-)    Does make me think it could be a copy though due to the price I paid.

Not really my area but the size comparison picture gives the impression of a casting ridge running along the edge? Perhaps it's just the angle but if it does have a ridge then it's a copy.

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to be a ridge - I'll take a side on picture sometime, it seems smooth.

hmm - I am still unsure about my coin...  i am going to send it off to be checked I think.

Good news is, the 'fake' roman coin I got with it isn't fake according to the local archeological trust...  It is a VF Phillip 1st Antonius - I just assumed it was fake due the price and how perfect it looked...  :-  You win some and loose some...  I've lost a few, so good win on that one! lol. 

The fact that the roman coin is decent makes me think this might be too. I'll have to send it off when I get around to it. If it is real it lists at about £700. Anyone know what it might be worth it is is just a museum copy?