British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sword

CGS "membership" Fee

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

What is the buisness opportunity ?

The people in the Uk just want nice coins at a sensible price .

Its not rocket science and if that means they pay 5% more they wont lose any sleep.

I.e. dealer says Unc £100......Slabber says unc £105.

Take your pick :)

People are clearly paying extra for the additional authenticity PCGS and NGC offer. Yes LCGS offered similar but its not from a recognised authority. As a buyer im much more confident in pay for PCGS and NGC as my clients can easily check on prices achieved in various grades at ease. CGS may have been more successful had it been a SPINK or Baldwins who were behind the venture. 

Also look at auction prices if you think a slabbed coin (in high grades) only adds 5% you'll be somewhat shocked.

8 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

LCGS / CGS isnt really a third party impartical grading company, it is london coins grading mainly their own and their customers coins.

Please for just one second move away from cgs...........Please :)

You have some nice coins and pictures plus a really good  site.

A lot of your coins are slabbed though.............WHY..... harp on and not agree you are making more money putting them in slabs ?.

Your a dealer selling slabs............:)

14 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

What is the buisness opportunity ?

The people in the Uk just want nice coins at a sensible price .

Its not rocket science and if that means they pay 5% more they wont lose any sleep.

I.e. dealer says Unc £100......Slabber says unc £105.

Take your pick :)

For me, I don't pay much attention to what the seller says a coin is, I want to see the pictures first before I decide and I'll decide if it's good enough or not... but, I can't on the CGS slabbed coin (obviously the seller can download and send you the picture but it's a little bit time consuming asking for individual pictures all the time). Maybe they're both UNC and both CGS 80, but one has a much weaker strike than the other.. you don't know until you see it. That and everyone is a little different, I don't particularly go for toned coins, whereas a nice chocolatey covering does it for some people. Both UNC though..

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Please for just one second move away from cgs...........Please :)

You have some nice coins and pictures plus a really good  site.

A lot of your coins are slabbed though.............WHY..... harp on and not agree you are making more money putting them in slabs ?.

Your a dealer selling slabs............:)

you'll actually find the vast majority of my inventory isnt slabbed, however if having a coin graded can turn in from £6,000 into a £10,000 coin depending on the grading result as a dealer or a collector you would be very naive not too. 

Everyone wants nice coins at a sensible price and not just in the UK.

But we now live in an online world where collectors and dealers are buying on the strength of a photo and a description. But photos and descriptions can flatter to deceive. Having an independent and impartial TPG grade and slab the coin takes much of the risk out of the buying decision. And collectors are willing to pay more for that assurance. 

That is market reality in the USA and, increasingly, market reality in the UK.

Matt .

Doesnt matter if you can view a picture or not in that everyone wants one.

The point i am trying to make is CGS 80 Unc.......Roaded head knobs r ready Unc.

Which would you buy if the same price.

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Matt .

Doesnt matter if you can view a picture or not in that everyone wants one.

The point i am trying to make is CGS 80 Unc.......Roaded head knobs r ready Unc.

Which would you buy if the same price.

Theres the exact reason why cgs grading is a waste of time it adds no value.

I have never bought and, unless ridiculously rare and only known to be available in very low grades, never will buy anything without seeing a picture first. The only exception to the rule is one coin from yourself, but that is because I trusted your judgement and know you have a good eye for good coins, having bought plenty from you before.. Pictures really seal the deal for me, I've had to stop buying so much from Guy because I just can't browse his collection so feely anymore.

4 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

you'll actually find the vast majority of my inventory isnt slabbed, however if having a coin graded can turn in from £6,000 into a £10,000 coin depending on the grading result as a dealer or a collector you would be very naive not too. 

I am maybe naive but your slabbing them and would assume from your comments to make more money.

That makes really good sense.

Having a go at other buisness competitors doesnt and does not make you sound any better .....infact probably does you more harm and better not saying to much on a forum.

I've no problem with their owner and i know one of their chief graders fairly well however i'm allowed an opinion and i've never said that their grading is inadiquate, however i have always believed they failed when trying to set up an whole new grading tier, alienating their services, from where the market place was. The purpose for the majority when grading a coin is to "add value and authenticity". 

i've actually only slabbed approximately 10 coins myself.

I'm curious as to why you are always so defensive of CGS, i have no personal issue with them

• Like 1

*Know

Worth remembering that buyers (i.e. customers) drive business. If buyers are wiling to pay a premium for authenticated, graded and slabbed coins then dealers and other sellers will make that investment.

2 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

*Know

3 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

I've no problem with their owner and i know one of their chief graders fairly well however i'm allowed an opinion and i've never said that their grading is inadiquate, however i have always believed they failed when trying to set up an whole new grading tier, alienating their services, from where the market place was. The purpose for the majority when grading a coin is to "add value and authenticity". 

i've actually only slabbed approximately 10 coins myself.

I'm curious as to why you are always so defensive of CGS, i have no personal issue with them

Why i am defensive does not matter.

Its the people who attack that do.

Always tends to be bullies or people jumping on the band waggon.......i am not one.

Sometimes better to say nothing than agree and some people have a go for no paticular reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Worth remembering that buyers (i.e. customers) drive business. If buyers are wiling to pay a premium for authenticated, graded and slabbed coins then dealers and other sellers will make that investment.

Jaggy your a sixpence expert.

You were happy with some coins you bought and sent them for grading.

Some got rejected and then you were not happy :o

If your not sure about your own knowledge why have a go at someone elses .

Ive always had the opinion that it adds little to the coin slabbing it there, apart from authenticity.  If thats all the consignee wants then all is fine ... 

However the opinion of its grade is London Coins opinion, buy a coin from any dealer and it will be designated their opinion in terms of grade and wont cost you an extra money or the wait of months to be told what they think. 

• Like 1

I can only really speak about what I see on Ebay but CGS slabs, like PCGS and NGC, seem to add a significant premium to most coins on there. The odd one may prove to be a bargain but generally the CGS slabs sell for far more than book value based on the ones I watch on the bay.

5 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

Ive always had the opinion that it adds little to the coin slabbing it there, apart from authenticity.  If thats all the consignee wants then all is fine ... 

However the opinion of its grade is London Coins opinion, buy a coin from any dealer and it will be designated their opinion in terms of grade and wont cost you an extra money or the wait of months to be told what they think. 

But isn't that exactly what you pay other Grading Companies for, their opinion, if it adds value all well and good, if it doesn't that would only concern those that bought to sell short-term, i.e. dealers

15 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Why i am defensive does not matter.

Its the people who attack that do.

Always tends to be bullies or people jumping on the band waggon.......i am not one.

Sometimes better to say nothing than agree and some people have a go for no paticular reason.

I think the point PWA is making here is the negative comments from person or persons who have never used CGS/LCGS or even intend to, merely acting on hearsay, a complaint or in the interest of others, a good example of which played out for over a year on this Forum regarding following a rejected coin.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jaggy said:

DNW shipped my coin by Fedex today (better late than never :D ). They are estimating delivery by midnight tomorrow. So lets assume sometime on Thursday. It is still less than 48 hors from London to deepest darkest Arizona.

Mine is on the van for delivery B)

22 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I can only really speak about what I see on Ebay but CGS slabs, like PCGS and NGC, seem to add a significant premium to most coins on there. The odd one may prove to be a bargain but generally the CGS slabs sell for far more than book value based on the ones I watch on the bay.

on some case perhaps this is true but that ultimately depends on whats being bought. I've only ever bought one cgs coin a 1893 proof half crown, CGS unc 82, which according to their chart should have been pf64 or better, but it only graded PF63 when i cross graded at PCGS. Yet now re-graded its auctioned for almost double the CGS price i paid ....

perhaps i shouldnt moan about them ,  keep on grading there ;)

13 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Jaggy your a sixpence expert.

You were happy with some coins you bought and sent them for grading.

Some got rejected and then you were not happy :o

If your not sure about your own knowledge why have a go at someone elses .

Very few of the coins I sent for grading got a 'Details' rating; just six out of over 50. Most of the coins came back with pretty good grades and quite a few with MS65 or MS66. However, four of the six coins with 'Details' were bought from London Coins. That has damaged my confidence in buying from that auction house because I no longer really trust that their photos or descriptions are an accurate representation of reality.

You may think that I am 'having a go' at LC but it is really up to them to instill confidence in the buyer. I know my field and I know what I am looking for. But given that I am buying coins based on photos and descriptions and do not have the physical ability, for the most part, to actually view them 'in hand' then I have to go on the basis of 'caveat emptor'.

I will continue to buy from other auction companies such as DNW because I have zero problems with them so far.

24 minutes ago, Chingford said:

I think the point PWA is making here is the negative comments from person or persons who have never used CGS/LCGS or even intend to, merely acting on hearsay, a complaint or in the interest of others, a good example of which played out for over a year on this Forum regarding following a rejected coin.

As I said above, I have no problem with CGS being in the grading and authentification business. But if they want to be successful then, in my opinion, they will need to do a few things differently as I set out above.

33 minutes ago, azda said:

Mine is on the van for delivery B)

Mine is at local FedEx facility in Camp Verde, AZ (about 100 miles north of Phoenix). So will probably be delivered around lunch time.

1 hour ago, mhcoins said:

on some case perhaps this is true but that ultimately depends on whats being bought. I've only ever bought one cgs coin a 1893 proof half crown, CGS unc 82, which according to their chart should have been pf64 or better, but it only graded PF63 when i cross graded at PCGS. Yet now re-graded its auctioned for almost double the CGS price i paid ....

perhaps i shouldnt moan about them ,  keep on grading there ;)

I am a collector and not a dealer.......again your not really helping yourself .

your just saying the coins you sell are more expensive than if they were slabbed by somebody else.

Pete.

that price was determined in auction dear sir.