British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sword

CGS "membership" Fee

i only slab coins that will benefit from grading

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

that price was determined in auction dear sir. 

Yes dear sir i understand that and you slab coins to benefit i also understand.

But your a dealer so assume the benefit is mainly for yourself DEAR SIR.

It's a benefit open to all, just select who you use wisely 

• Like 2

It's seems this forum has become CGS / LCGS obsessed.  Whatever happened to everyone sharing there interesting finds , knowledge, etc, etc.

• Like 2

unfortunately you and others took it upon themselves to start having a go for no other reason than causing a fuss.

Each to their own, I have no problem with any slabbing companies and also feel everyone is entitled to protect, grade and store their coins as they see fit, my objection is mud slinging based on a false argument.

Nice to see Someone turn up this time

• Like 1

Maybe we are looking at grading coins at different ends of the spectrum.  I havent stated that cgs grades are poor, however from my perspective a cgs slabbed coin is the same as a raw coin. Whether you agree with my opinion oR not it doesnt matter. Im not wrong as neither Are you For liking them. We are ENTITLED to our own opinions. If your a penny collector there are clearly benefits to cgs's systems, as they statE freeman numbers. Lets just agree to disagree and put this tiresome topic to rest. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mhcoins said:

Theres the exact reason why cgs grading is a waste of time it adds no value.

That is the most positive comment you have made HAT OFF.

So as collectors of which the majority of the forum are we should buy cgs slabs as they are cheaper.

Thank you :)

Edited by PWA 1967

It's more in reference to those who continue to submit to them ie. Money down the drain 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

It's more in reference to those who continue to submit to them ie. Money down the drain 

Only money and i am not bothered about a few quid on grading fees.

I do it for myself not you or anyone else :)

As I said earlier neither of our opinions are wrong 

This is a "Discussion" that has no winners. At the end of the day everyone is different. If slabbed coins is your thing then that is purely down to that person. CGS/LCGS are no better or worse than any other slabbing company and why should we be the same as the US. The UK grading system has always been different to the US system, why should slabbing from the UK not create a system that works here. I have never had any coins slabbed, although I do have 6 in CGS slabs. I have no preference for any grading company and at present am happy with my coins, I wont say RAW as that to me donates that my coins are somehow less than Slabbed coins, they are not. I am happy with my grading and anyone who has had coins from me I would hope would agree. Pete is a great guy and has been a brilliant abassador to new collectors and has helped out lots of people. He also has a passion for his genre of collecting so kudos to him for sticking to his principles. Also in response to the fact that slabbing makes coins more valuable, I can say from watching coins avidly selling in both auctions and in shops that they certainly do generate sometimes a substancial premium.

Anyway, I put my feelings forward about CGS at its closure and reopenning as LCGS as I had been an avid user of their site and was swaying toward sending a few pieces in. But i made my feelings clear at the time and then left it. This continuous rant over and over isn't going to change things other then seriously miff people off.

Well thats my two pennies worth.... have fun collecting folks

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 2

I dont want to rant Brian ......but more defend otherwise it gets out of control with the high percentage of forum members always stating negatives.

Be lucky.....Keep smiling and happy collecting :)

• Like 1

Guest Jam

Does anyone know if CGS have re-introduced their slabbing tiers? It does look like their flat fee £15.75 has been abolished?

On 18/02/2017 at 7:28 AM, Guest Jam said:

Does anyone know if CGS have re-introduced their slabbing tiers? It does look like their flat fee £15.75 has been abolished?

Not as far as I know but I have not used them since the demise of CGS.

It still states "Charges per coin are the greater of the flat fee or 2% of the coins value after grading and according to the LCGS Valuations By Grade. The flat fee £15.75 per coin." on their website. However, their LCGS' charges for hammered have never been clear cut.

8 hours ago, Sword said:

Not as far as I know but I have not used them since the demise of CGS.

It still states "Charges per coin are the greater of the flat fee or 2% of the coins value after grading and according to the LCGS Valuations By Grade. The flat fee £15.75 per coin." on their website. However, their LCGS' charges for hammered have never been clear cut.

Who's valuing the coins, LCGS or from a Spink value because LCGS always puts a greater value on their slabs even though their values have nothing to do with market value, just a guesstimate

1 hour ago, azda said:

Who's valuing the coins, LCGS or from a Spink value because LCGS always puts a greater value on their slabs even though their values have nothing to do with market value, just a guesstimate

"according to the LCGSValuations By Grade." i.e. their valuations and not Spink's. Rather unfortunately their valuations are sometimes way over the top. Some of the coins I slabbed with CGS in the past  were given CGS values of three times what I paid. And to be fair to them, they do occasionally give realistic values. 

8 minutes ago, Sword said:

"according to the LCGSValuations By Grade." i.e. their valuations and not Spink's. Rather unfortunately their valuations are sometimes way over the top. Some of the coins I slabbed with CGS in the past  were given CGS values of three times what I paid. And to be fair to them, they do occasionally give realistic values. 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day 

:ph34r:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day 

:ph34r:

Not this one ...

1.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sword said:

Not this one ...

1.jpg

Will it work if you take a "Second" or a "Minute" to give it a "Hand" or two ? :-)

2 hours ago, The Coinery said:

Will it work if you take a "Second" or a "Minute" to give it a "Hand" or two ? :-)

Oh god please don't start that again :mellow:

22 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Oh god please don't start that again :mellow:

Screenshot 2017-02-21 09.37.15.png

• Like 1

Screenshot 2017-02-21 09.49.00.png

• Like 1

Photographed by LCGS, and probably the only post of mine you will ever find here! 

IMG_3148.JPG

• Like 1