British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sword

CGS "membership" Fee

11 hours ago, Sword said:

It's of course possible that the new pricing came from the new owners / shareholders. Having said that, the fact the the website was closed down just yesterday by the new management for "restructuring" would suggest that they were not responsible for the previous changes.

In any case "new management" could simply mean a new general manager (which presumably was Semra previously).  It doesn't necessarily mean new owners or shareholders. The London Coins website is still claiming that that London Coins Holding owns 51% of CGS. 

LCs would still hold 51% until money has changed hands, that all may change in due course, The fact that collectors Are being left in the dark about The situation and closing down The website/limiting access when it was live doesn't do anyone any favours, especially those who shipped coins during the "new Elite membership" period. It wasn't very well thought through IMO

They could of left the website up......i received some coins yesterday and cant enter them or sell my duplicates :)

Its not a big deal ,but they could of put things on hold for a few days with regards submissions etc.

But still kept the site open.....i am led to believe the site should be back up by Tuesday .

It would of been courteous to inform people who have sent them some coins over the last couple of months they will continue to grade /slab them.

Not just shut the site new management and .............:rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

They could of left the website up......i received some coins yesterday and cant enter them or sell my duplicates :)

Its not a big deal ,but they could of put things on hold for a few days with regards submissions etc.

But still kept the site open.....i am led to believe the site should be back up by Tuesday .

It would of been courteous to inform people who have sent them some coins over the last couple of months they will continue to grade /slab them.

Not just shut the site new management and .............:rolleyes:

True to form, all the recent changes have been made without consultation or communication or any notice given

Very interested to know where you get any information from (Tuesday?)

Dodgy handshake Paulus?

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Dodgy handshake Paulus?

Yeah that'll be it, Pete moves in some pretty exclusive circles I reckon :)

Manchester with Spanish bolthole. "Mad for it" with 1d's. No doubt associated with TG and his love of Charlie.;)

You never know but if CGS change for the better I might even consider getting a couple of coins slabbed for my daughters (Of course I will retain,hopefully for many years):rolleyes:

no new management in place yet 

i was told They apparanetly "cant cope with the demand of grading and running an auction every 3 months" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mhcoins said:

i was told They apparanetly "cant cope with the demand of grading and running an auction every 3 months" 

They're telling us something most already knew, so to solve the problem, shut the website down and bury the heads in the sand until it all goes away :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azda said:

They're telling us something most already knew, so to solve the problem, shut the website down and bury the heads in the sand until it all goes away :rolleyes:

Restaurants do the same thing..."Closed for remodeling". Then they never reopen! :o

7 hours ago, mhcoins said:

I don't believe that CGS is a viable business without London Coins. It needs London Coins for (all?) its staff and premises. So it is hard to believe anyone wanting to buy CGS off London Coins. 

So could the change in management be from "Semra in charge" to "Cetin in charge"? 

I think Semra does missionary work in other countries, and may have left CGS to do it full time. I don't know though, just a thought. If that is so, CGS may be interviewing people to fill the slot, and may reopen after that is accomplished. IMHO!  :)

Bob thats interesting about Semra. A warning to us all whilst on our exotic adventures ie to steer clear of tainted,fiery soup.

• Like 1

I'm guessing CGS must be a burden, otherwise why would they be looking into possibly selling? Perhaps its not profitable ? I don't believe CGS's existence is based upon LC's premises and staff (all 3 or 4 of them). i think it would be pretty easy to take over if you wanted too. However if someone here in the Uk was interested in doing a grading service, it would be much better to start up one from fresh and do so on the Sheldon scale. Would be a whole lot cheaper than buying a "non profitable" company from someone at the absurd amount being mentioned. The equipment cant be that expensive either

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 0:52 PM, PWA 1967 said:

..i am led to believe the site should be back up by Tuesday .

No working for me. 

Any more info?

The longer this goes on without any info the worse their reputation is going to get. I don't understand why they don't add any information on the main page of the website to keep people informed of where CGS actually is, mind you, trying to track down info on submissions previously was a huge task in itself, so, par for the course

12 hours ago, jon said:

No working for me. 

Any more info?

Not a clue :D

Thought i would put my two pence or one pence ;) after looking at another thread and only my OPINION.

If a number of coins have been sent and the price been agreed for slabbing and paid prior ..........the service will be provided as i am led to believe.

You need a time period to slab them and then start a new business again.........,not a transitition with what  about these 1100/1400 coins that are half way through grading.

They need slabbing and grading and they are commited but not to acknowledge.........IMO......... anymore new submissions and put the brake on :)

Slab what we have.........then move forward......OR BACKWARDS :)

If a buisness wants to give reasons ,they can give any they want ...nothing to do with anyone else ,unless your an investor ,if that devaluates its again up to them.

Not quite the same as booking a table in a restaurant.....chances are you pay after you eat ....or say its POWSEY ...:)

It does not really inconvenience you (most members of the forum) and not got any obligation to anyone ,as you currently dont have a choice anyway and cant submit a coin.

As someone who has used them .......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...just would like the website back up :)

Weather thats right or wrong its not something that can be closed today and opened tomorrow and hope it works for everyone in the future .......I am not an investor and none of my business........just want the website back live......:D

Without graders consistently grading WE/YOU wont need them just put pictures on the forum :)

If the buisness plan is worthwhile....well nothing to do with me :)

Keep smiling .

Pete.

P.S.ONLY my opinion and sorry for any spelling /grammar mistakes :P

Has anyone received any update from CGS as to where they are at with the change of management?

Got the reults of one batch i sent through today so feel anyone waiting a couple months they should be with you soon.

I least i suppose they are all being done and will get them straight ,should they be making any changes.

I had a batch completed on Saturday 23rd July (of which this was one) .. finally!

Just noticed their pics no longer refer to CGS, rather the 'London Coins Grading Service' ... at least that connection will be more transparent then, I'd have thought they would move the other way!

http://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/img.php?u=39472&f=r&

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

I had a batch completed on Saturday 23rd July (of which this was one) .. finally!

Just noticed their pics no longer refer to CGS, rather the 'London Coins Grading Service' ... at least that connection will be more transparent then, I'd have thought they would move the other way!

http://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/img.php?u=39472&f=r&

Nice coin Paulus, what year is it?

10 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Nice coin Paulus, what year is it?

Thanks Bob, I'm dead pleased because I dipped my toe into copper for the (almost) first time and I think I did well. Did research and took advice, but pleased for my first biggie! It's an 1854 Penny, and very happy with the grade ... I can grade I think but anything above aUNC (or MS63) is trickier in these! To get CGS 80 (MS64) was a bonus :)

1854_1d_06_cgs_80_uin_39472_1600.jpg

Edited by Paulus