British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
deano1351

I know its fake but.....

Hello all, there is an old necklace in my family with a half sovereign coin, the coin is queen Victoria in the jubilee style with BRITT REG F.D and George slaying the dragon on the other side, problem is the date, it says 1902, the whole thing is a mismatch by the look of it.  Anyone ever seen this one before?  cheers

If it appears to be gold, then the question is; did any of your forebears serve in the British army in India or the Far East? It sounds as if you may have an Indian jeweller's copy of a half sov. The best of them were made of real gold and of the appropriate weight. Change of monarch meant little, which could account for the date discrepancy.

• Like 1

Oh ok that's interesting, I guess I should take it to a jewellers to have them take the coin out of the necklace and weigh it for me.  My grandfather served in India in the Navy so maybe that's where it came from, thanks for shedding some light onto it bagerap