British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Danelaw

Mudlarking find

Had this coin up from the Thames. I don't know where to start to be honest. Any pointers anyone? It's 20mm and silver

IMG_20160317_133617.jpg

CfyBwNaWwAAmbke.jpg

Looks like a Venetian soldino, but 6mm too large...

I can sort of see a bust facing George 111 type and IA (of Britannia ?) Mystified !!!!

It's infuriating to be honest. It does look like Britannia on the reverse.

I have a Roman intaglio ring to take to the Museum of London that I found on the river. I shall take the coin maybe the coin expert will fathom it

Appreciate the replies.

Edited by Danelaw

Maybe it's a pattern / private token of Charles II - they were issued in Roman armour ?

I would have possible guessed at it being a counterfeit farthing, but the silver aspect makes that highly unlikely....definitely silver?

However I am also sure I have seen a farthing token with a similar bust on it...but it escapes me at the moment.

34 minutes ago, Colin G. said:

I would have possible guessed at it being a counterfeit farthing, but the silver aspect makes that highly unlikely....definitely silver?

Do counterfeit farthings exist Colin? Seems a very strange denomination to forge - more trouble than it's worth, surely? :huh:

LOVE TOKEN?

9 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Do counterfeit farthings exist Colin? Seems a very strange denomination to forge - more trouble than it's worth, surely? :huh:

Yes....Big time,George 111 1775 is an extremely common date. Don't forget at the time it was the lowest denomination circulating coin and the value was in the cu.There was also a shortage of these coins so needs must....hence lighter counterfeits. 

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Yes....Big time,George 111 1775 is an extremely common date. Don't forget at the time it was the lowest denomination circulating coin and the value was in the cu.There was also a shortage of these coins so needs must....hence lighter counterfeits. 

Thanks Peter. It seems odd, to me, that they would choose the lowest denomination. I suppose it's relative to the buying power at the time, and how common the coin was in circulation?

Just search evasion farthings or colonial farthings as well, it is a period that was rife with counterfeits, but unless the coin in question was tin or some other base metal combination it would not really make much logical sense