British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The Coinery

Pennies - Edward VII

Hello.

I was recommended to visit / join your site by PWA 1967.

My main passion is Pennies and Pete described me as a "Serious Edward VII Pennie Collector".

I started collecting in 1969 after being given a pile of second hand Whitman folders and also 3 big bags of pennies.

I am open to discuss any numismatic topic and I especially look forward to hearing from Pennie Collectors out there.

My numismatic interests stretch over all British pre decimal denominations with, after bronze / copper pennies, particular interests in Brass 3D's and Sixpences.

So many coins to collect with so little time. Life does get in the way of coin collecting.

Good you posted.

Would just say i have never seen a collection like i was shown today and blew my mind.

I thought i had some nice ones ......But now a bit negged out.

Sure your knowledge would be interesting to any collector.

The coins across every denomination i cannot comprehend.

Thank you for sharing your time for a couple of hours this morning.

Pete.

Hi Coinery,

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to picking your brains about pennies.

Ian

Welcome to the forum

Yorkshire. Tick.

Coins. Tick.

Backgammon. Tick

Boats. Hmmm.

Red wine. Tick.

Coins. Tick.

Coins. Tick.

Not sure about the boats but you'll do for me. Welcome. :)

Hi Coinery, welcome to the Forum!

I'm guessing you are Guy, we exchanged emails recently?

We have another member called Coinery (not The Coinery), Stuart, but he is taking a break from the Forum at the moment ...

Welcome to the forum. :D

Welcome Guy, like Paul we've spoken recently, I imagine both through seeing your email on the CGS site. I was going to contact you regarding the lists you've sent me but after talking to Pete I think he has already bought all of the coins I wanted :ph34r:

There are a plethora of penny collectors on here so always lots of discussion.

Welcome- looking forward to your commentary

Welcome Coinery, from across the pond. Look forward to your Penny posts.

Yes welcome Coinery, from across an even bigger pond (or two) !

It is a very nice forum with friendly people.

cheers Garrett.

10 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Yorkshire. Tick.

Coins. Tick.

Backgammon. Tick

Boats. Hmmm.

Red wine. Tick.

Coins. Tick.

Coins. Tick.

Not sure about the boats but you'll do for me. Welcome. :)

Thank you all for the welcome !

I have, as I am sure quite a few collectors have, fallen into bad habits and started collecting just one of this and one of that and finally after decades of collecting ended up with an ecleptic mix of coins and exonumia and one day you turn round and realise you have what my Wife calls Numismatic Addiction or NA for short. Is "NA" is also short for Nag and I dare say this as she would never visit this site :-). She dislikes coins at best and at worse Hates coins. She once questioned wether I would like to marry my collection instead of her and after considering this at length I am wondering if it possible to trade the Wife for coins ? - I will check your sites discussion threads for verification  :-)

My current collection covers all British denominations and my intention / goal is to vastly reduce my collection so I can concentrate on only collecting all British Edward VII coins plus regardless of Monarch all Pennies, Half Pennies, Sixpences and Brass 3D's. Now I know this sounds like I am not reducing things greatly but this really is a big reduction for me.

One other coin I have a great interest in is the 1934 wreath crown and I have read some of the threads on this site about this coin and also about the fakes out there and this problem is mainly caused by these so called Museum Replicas which in themselves are neither a bad thing or illegal but the problem is that when resold the new owner may either accidentally sell as genuine or worse try to pass off as an original. This is one reason my I have some of my coins slabbed. One interesting fact about 34 Crowns is that they contain between 68% to 76% silver. I always thought they were 50% silver but after my friend zapped them with an XRF gun the metallurgic content certainly surprised me. 

Some reputable sellers sell these 34 replica Crowns with "Fake" or "Replica" stamped into them or something similar to the changes on the 1797 Cartwheels and there should be a law which forces the inclusion of "Fake" or "Replica" on all non original currency / proof coins.

To respond to Mr Badexample I would like to explain about boats: Like coin collecting unless you do it there are misconstrued ideas about boating. A boat is a place you can escape alone or with friends on, totally away from the world enjoying Britians green and pleasant land with mobile phone firmly turned off, where you can drink Red Wine, play Backgammon and sort / examine your coins in absolute peace and quiet. The only usual disturbance is some greedy Swans occasionally wanting a free food handout.

One cautionary tale about boats and coins is that whilst we all know coins sink I once thought that slabbed coins would float so instead of working upon my coins down below in the boat I happily sat on the back in the sun and to my cost several slabbed coins ended up in the River Ouse. The sovereigns are still languishing at the bottom of the river but to my joy the half sovereigns floated. So maybe slabbed Farthings and Silver 3D's will float as well. Let me know

Normally people say Don't Try This At Home - I would strongly recommend you DID try floating your slabbed coins in the sink at home as the majority will sink.

Again thank you for the welcome and I look forward to enjoying this site, the knowledge I will acquire and the banter I am sure is yet to come.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Paulus said:

Sorry This not getting rid of posts is starting to get on my nerves :D

Well i thought i was bonkers but have not tested any slabs to see if they float in a river :D

8 hours ago, The Coinery said:

To respond to Mr Badexample I would like to explain about boats: Like coin collecting unless you do it there are misconstrued ideas about boating. A boat is a place you can escape alone or with friends on, totally away from the world enjoying Britians green and pleasant land with mobile phone firmly turned off, where you can drink Red Wine, play Backgammon and sort / examine your coins in absolute peace and quiet. The only usual disturbance is some greedy Swans occasionally wanting a free food handout.

One cautionary tale about boats and coins is that whilst we all know coins sink I once thought that slabbed coins would float so instead of working upon my coins down below in the boat I happily sat on the back in the sun and to my cost several slabbed coins ended up in the River Ouse. The sovereigns are still languishing at the bottom of the river...

I read Three Men in a Boat a month or two ago. They made it seem like hard work. :P

How long ago did you lose the sovereigns? Is there a dredging opportunity for those who don't have any? And did you tell the wife what you'd done? :D

4 hours ago, secret santa said:
5 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I read Three Men in a Boat a month or two ago. They made it seem like hard work. :P

How long ago did you lose the sovereigns? Is there a dredging opportunity for those who don't have any? And did you tell the wife what you'd done? :D

I lost them summer 2014. The water level on the Ouse rises and falls 20ft and I can tell you that you will need to look some where between York and Hull . . . . . Did I tell my Wife what - I do not know what you are talking about ! Would you tell your Wife ?

• Like 1

Welcome to another penny man !!!

Welcome to another penny man !!!

Thank you Secret Santa - Will you send me 4 sovereigns this Christmas ?

On 12 April 2016 at 8:22 PM, IanB said:

Hi Coinery,

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to picking your brains about pennies.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Always available to talk / discuss Pennies

Guy

Hi and welcome to the forum. Someone who collects Brass 3d's, I was beginning to think I was the only one with a set. Mods can we have a Brass 3d section.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. Someone who collects Brass 3d's, I was beginning to think I was the only one with a set. Mods can we have a Brass 3d section.

I also have a set. Not much to write home about because it was mostly collected when I first started - they were cheap and easy to obtain and I wasn't as concerned about grade then. I've upgraded a few recently though.

12 hours ago, The Coinery said:

Thank you Secret Santa - Will you send me 4 sovereigns this Christmas ?

No - four candles maybe.........

• Like 1

On 13 April 2016 at 8:12 AM, The Coinery said:

My current collection covers all British denominations and my intention / goal is to vastly reduce my collection so I can concentrate on only collecting all British Edward VII coins plus regardless of Monarch all Pennies, Half Pennies, Sixpences and Brass 3D's. Now I know this sounds like I am not reducing things greatly but this really is a big reduction for me.

Ooh if you have any farthings that need a new home, let me know, I may be able to assist in removing some of the burden..and free up funds to help with your new area of focus. When those slabs surface in the river at sometime in the future, it will seriously confuse and please whoever finds them :D - you should set up a new CGS account "Ouse" and move them over into the collection ;)

Welcome The Coinery

Quick note, and not to ambush the OP, but XRF can be a bit faulty and only reports composition of the SURFACE layer of metal and presupposes constant alloy content through the whole piece. I don't recall now if the RM utilised this practice but there is a process of "pickling" blanks/planchets by immersing them in acids of varied strength, and this leaches what are termed the "less noble" metals out and thereby increasing the precious metal (ie silver) content of the surfacemost alloy. So, a more destructive test might test the hypothesis of increased silver content of the 1934 crown issue....

2 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

So, a more destructive test might test the hypothesis of increased silver content of the 1934 crown issue....

Hmmm...best use a spare then. :)