British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Matteo95

My new groat

Hi all !! 

I am very happy and proud to share you my new acquisiton . I've bought it today at a numismatic fair. It's a quite common ( but rare here in Italy ) Henry VII groat , class IIICi ( I used the Stewartby's work for the classification ) . What impressed me is the condition of this coin. Do you like it too ?  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, love it, Henry VII is one of my next targets and I would be delighted with that! :)

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Yes, love it, Henry VII is one of my next targets and I would be delighted with that! :)

Thanks Paulus , Do you collect a coin for every king ?

Very nice addition, Matteo!!

23 minutes ago, Matteo95 said:

Thanks Paulus , Do you collect a coin for every king ?

A circulating design example of every silver denomination for every English monarch Henry VII to George VI is my current goal! 

Just now, Paulus said:

A circulating design example of every silver denomination for every English monarch Henry VII to George VI is my current goal! 

That should ensure your ongoing poverty. How much have you set aside for the H7 testoon, countermarked base silver, E1 crown, Chas.1 £1 and £1/2 and the later Tudor farthings?

Good groat there Matteo.

• Like 1

My ongoing poverty is certainly assured, it will doubtless be a moving feast! Thankfully not a died in the wool completist! 

Yes nice groat, well done !

Detail looks lovely -nice condition. :)

On 9. April 2016 at 9:02 PM, Matteo95 said:

Hi all !! 

I am very happy and proud to share you my new acquisiton . I've bought it today at a numismatic fair. It's a quite common ( but rare here in Italy ) Henry VII groat , class IIICi ( I used the Stewartby's work for the classification ) . What impressed me is the condition of this coin. Do you like it too ?  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice groat Matteo, i would reccommend this book for your Library and very easy to use and inexpensive http://www.greenlightpublishing.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9452038

• Like 1

looks like it is almost certainly a hoard coin , very attracto too

1 hour ago, azda said:

Nice groat Matteo, i would reccommend this book for your Library and very easy to use and inexpensive http://www.greenlightpublishing.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9452038

Thanks azda for your reccomandation !! I know quite well that book because I bought it last year :) , Yes it's very easy to use , photos could be better but , considering the price it is very good  .

Personally my preferite book about english medieval coins is "English coins " by Lord Stewartby, I think it is more detailed and updated than others.

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

looks like it is almost certainly a hoard coin , very attracto too

Thanks ! yes it could be a hoard coin , there are no signs of circulation .

Spink are currently selling The Stewartby Collection over several sales, their catalogues might also be of use although only The 1st part has currently passed through The auction

Edited by azda

Second part next month is Henry II to Edward II, Hammered gold is in September, late medieval in December and Tudor and Stuart next year

yes I Know , I saw the last aution but it wasn't my field .. I am saving money for the next auction that includes my preferite period of english coins ( Edward I and II ) . 

Auctions catalogues can be very usefull in certain cases but I have to say that are also quite expensive !! 25£ for a catalogue ! I mean in Italy the majority of numismatic house auctions send to you their catalogues for free .... 

If you are a regular purchaser you will probably get the catalogues sent foc.

Bearing in mind the catalogues have to come out of premiums, there is a lot of pressure to reduce costs. e.g. the reason DNW gave for stopping catalogues was that they had 7 tons of catalogues printed in 2014, which was a huge expense. They also stopped having auctions in the hotel across the road. It went wrong though as they had a lot of regulars who didn't bid. Previously you could combine viewing with the sale, now it requires a separate visit - i.e. it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matteo95 said:

yes I Know , I saw the last aution but it wasn't my field .. I am saving money for the next auction that includes my preferite period of english coins ( Edward I and II ) . 

Auctions catalogues can be very usefull in certain cases but I have to say that are also quite expensive !! 25£ for a catalogue ! I mean in Italy the majority of numismatic house auctions send to you their catalogues for free .... 

Auction catalogues can be downloaded in PDF form. I started Doing this Last year and saved them onto a USB stick inside a folder, no need to pay out £25 for each catalogue, if there's one of specific interest You might be able to pick it up at a later date through eBay or a dealer. Rob has quite a few of these and also Alan at MHCOINS has started selling some As well.

• Like 1