British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Nick1697

Reference Guide for Early British Pennies

I am looking for a catalogue or reference guide that will help me to identify Late Anglo-Saxan Coinage 973AD through to the Plantagenet Kings. I am trying to learn how to identify what mint the coin was made at and by which maker if possible. I already have Spink and Coincraft. Is it worth getting North?

Books I find helpful  are

Wren's 'The Short-cross Coinage 1180-1247 Henry II to Henry III' & 'The Voided Long-cross Coinage 1247-1279'

Withers'  'Halfpennies & Farthings. Edward III & Richard II' & 'Farthings and Halfpennies. Edward I & II'

Also 'The Galata Guide to The Pennies of Edward I & II'.

These suppliment my North's Vol. 1 & 2 which, to my mind, are essential. Prior reigns are similarly covered in individual publications and, if you're serious, can result in a very large library!!! 

Edited by Geordie582
Added more info

The North are excellent books .. a serious numismatist must have it on his library.  I can reccomand also " English coins 1180 - 1551 " by Lord Stewartby that give you also a lot of interesting historical details.  Then there are specific works that covers only a particular type of coins or a single mint , like the Robin Eaglen's books on the Bury St. Edmund mint or the SCBI 39 ( the J.J. North collection ) that is dedicated to the Edward I an II coinage 

Thank you both for your suggestions. I have found Volumes 1 and 2 for North for a little less that £55, and I am still looking for the other books locally.