British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cal from U.S.

Half Sovereign with with I.E.B. initials

I recently purchased an 1887 Victoria Jubilee gold half sovereign. I believe it's genuine since it's slabbed and certified AU58 by CCCS.  I confirmed the certification number in their database.  What I can't identify is an imperfect "J" in the initials.  The expected J.E.B. clearly appears as I.E.B.  I've read of this on some full sovereign varieties from Melbourne and Sidney mints, but there's no reference to I.E.B. initials on a half sovereign, and my coin has no mint mark so it came from London. There's no mention of this in Spink.  Except for the I.E.B. initials, my coin appears to be a Spink 3869.  Does anyone know if this is an unknown or unmentioned variety? 

If it is a filled J then it shouldn't be a variety IMO as this arises from die blocking due to normal operation. If it is a properly formed letter I then it would be a variety and is not recorded.

On 26 March 2016 at 5:16 PM, Cal from U.S. said:

I recently purchased an 1887 Victoria Jubilee gold half sovereign. I believe it's genuine since it's slabbed and certified AU58 by CCCS.  I confirmed the certification number in their database.  What I can't identify is an imperfect "J" in the initials.  The expected J.E.B. clearly appears as I.E.B.  I've read of this on some full sovereign varieties from Melbourne and Sidney mints, but there's no reference to I.E.B. initials on a half sovereign, and my coin has no mint mark so it came from London. There's no mention of this in Spink.  Except for the I.E.B. initials, my coin appears to be a Spink 3869.  Does anyone know if this is an unknown or unmentioned variety? 

Hi. These Half Sovereigns are listed on the CGS website. I have one and the UIN is 38541. I regret to say that personally I do not feel they are rare as I currently have 3 and the price on the CGS site does not indicate any rarity. Sorry if this disappoints.