British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

Copper penny / halfpenny

Greetings all.

I've always said I collect milled coins from 1860-1970. But I'm diversifying somewhat. It's probably Rob's fault. ;)

I don't own a single Victorian copper penny or halfpenny. I'd like to acquire one of each, just to start me off. So I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive (hopefully) but in decent grade to see if it generates some interest. 

Anyone got a spare please?

Cheers,

MBE

Why not look at a few in trays before spending money? Surely the interest is already there if you are looking to purchase. Alternatively, buy a few Chinese copies. Cost - maybe £1.50 each delivered. They would be close enough to the real thing to stimulate you or not. Or compile a collage or two on your desktop and see which appeals.

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

Why not look at a few in trays before spending money? Surely the interest is already there if you are looking to purchase. Alternatively, buy a few Chinese copies. Cost - maybe £1.50 each delivered. They would be close enough to the real thing to stimulate you or not. Or compile a collage or two on your desktop and see which appeals.

I could look in trays, but they'd be rubbish and I'd want to upgrade immediately. :P I'm not (knowingly!) buying a Chinese copy of anything. And I want one to hold, not a picture. Sure, I could get one from ebay but I'd just like a decent, problem free example to start with and I know if I ask on here there's a good chance of someone coming up with something that'll fit the bill. Worth a shot, anyway. :)

I regularly scan dealer's pages, auctions and e bay, Jon. I'll keep a sharp look out for a decent pre 1860 copper halfpenny/penny at a reasonable price for you, and report back if I see one. 

• Like 1

@mrbadexamplelike you I have recently had an urge to acquire a decent Viccy copper penny example, and a halfpenny

I now have this penny (which ticks all my boxes), and am considering a halfpenny from the same seller

1854_1d_03_1300.jpg

Please let me know if this is the kind of example you are after :)

• Like 2

That's a superb looking coin, Paul.

8 hours ago, Paulus said:

@mrbadexamplelike you I have recently had an urge to acquire a decent Viccy copper penny example, and a halfpenny

I now have this penny (which ticks all my boxes), and am considering a halfpenny from the same seller

1854_1d_03_1300.jpg

Please let me know if this is the kind of example you are after :)

Bloody hell that's nice. I suspect it would dent my budget rather more than I'd like. :(

Nice slabbed 1858 halfpenny sorted thanks Chingford. :)

Got an 1855 penny and halfpenny too, lower grade, to play with. :D

• Like 1

Let's see pics MBE, you know the rules!

As I said, I also wanted a nice Viccy halfpenny copper example, and this is what I have gone for

1856_hp_01_02_1300.jpg

31 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Let's see pics MBE, you know the rules!

As I said, I also wanted a nice Viccy halfpenny copper example, and this is what I have gone for

I can't get a decent shot through the slab, and CGS don't have photos of this one. :(

7 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I can't get a decent shot through the slab, and CGS don't have photos of this one. :(

Boo, did you not have any pics to go on before you bought it?

I find the CGS population database very valuable as a resource, but their early pics are rubbish and some have no pics (as pics used to be an optional extra), perhaps the case with yours?

Personally for my slabbed coins (< 1% of my collection), I need decent pics, else I lose all connection with them!

Just now, Paulus said:

Boo, did you not have any pics to go on before you bought it?

I find the CGS population database very valuable as a resource, but their early pics are rubbish and some have no pics (as pics used to be an optional extra), perhaps the case with yours?

Personally for my slabbed coins (< 1% of my collection), I need decent pics, else I lose all connection with them!

Nope, no pictures but sent on approval. I like it, but then I have a tendency to like everything. :D

Best I can do through the slab.

1858 ½d (1).JPG

1858 ½d (2).JPG

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this