British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Weaver

Strategy & etiquette for purchasing coins

2 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Seconded. If you don't ask, you don't get! Most dealers will negotiate with you, it's all part of the fun ;) 

Thanks Nordle, and that's exactly what I want to hear because as I mentioned before, I want to avoid getting ripped off.

The more I can learn from you guys about what pitfalls to avoid then hopefully I can boost my collection without too many mistakes.

If you're ever not sure, by all means just put up a post of what you're trying to buy with a few pictures and everyone here will give you a rough idea of value, so you are confident that you're not overpaying for something.

We're all learning from each other, and everyone had to start from somewhere ;) 

Now that is an offer I cannot refuse!

Thanks Nordle!

BTW - Love your Penny Collection website! Great large photos and info! Perfect for a newbie to learn from.

Thanks, 'tis but a humble assortment in comparison to many others. I highly recommend you check out Richard's wonderful site - https://headsntails14.wordpress.com/

Impressive to say the very least.

• Like 1

:lol:

5 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Thanks, 'tis but a humble assortment in comparison to many others. I highly recommend you check out Richard's wonderful site - https://headsntails14.wordpress.com/

Impressive to say the very least.

Thanks Nordle.

Many of you guys & gals have got awesome collections! It makes my motley assortment look awful

I reckon from the 2000 or so coins I have from around the globe, only 4 or 5 are anywhere near EF grade...

So...that begs another question...

A member here on another thread said some wise words - 'it's better to have 1 high grade coin than 100 poor quality coins'

I totally agree, so what is the best way to sell 2000 or so world coins to create some funds to buy 1 or 2 really choice coins?

Definitely the best advice out there.

Best way is probably going to be eBay. If you've got the time, list them in groups, perhaps by country.

• Like 1

Thanks again Nordle!

And thanks everyone for making this an awesome day of learning so far!:)

Also, have you checked them for any varieties or specifics? A general book like Krause can help for things like that.

You never know, you might have grabbed a not so common variety of a certain year that will still bring in a little more even in a less than desirable grade.

Not only helps to add funds, but a good experience identifying varieties and grades.

Hi Weaver

Good thread! I collect predominantly milled English silver types, with sidelines in Conder tokens and broad copper and bronze type examples, I've been branching back as far as Tudor hammered a little, and starting to dabble in proofs too.

Excellent advice given above, they key distinction will be that between buying English coins because you like them, or because they interest you, as opposed to buying for investment.

EBay or a Facebook Group for world coin collectors may be the best way of selling the world coins you do not want.

Have fun out there and ask anything you like on here (with pictures) before making big buying decisions :)

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Also, have you checked them for any varieties or specifics? A general book like Krause can help for things like that.

You never know, you might have grabbed a not so common variety of a certain year that will still bring in a little more even in a less than desirable grade.

Not only helps to add funds, but a good experience identifying varieties and grades.

And that is EXACTLY what I'm doing right now my man!

Got some time off work sorting through the 2000 or so coins and looking up each one like this rather nice 1913 Prussian 3 Mark coin...

I know it's not a good grade but it's 0.900 fine silver so worth a few pennies even in bullion value right?

DSC05917.JPG

DSC05918.JPG

11 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Hi Weaver

Good thread! I collect predominantly milled English silver, with sidelines in Conder tokens and broad copper and bronze type examples, I've been branching back into Tudor hammered a little, and starting to dabble in proofs too.

Excellent advice given above, they key distinction will be that between buying English coins because you like them, or because they interest you, as opposed to buying for investment.

EBay or a Facebook Group for world coin collectors may be the best way of selling the world coins you do not want.

Have fun out there and ask anything you like on here (with pictures) before making big buying decisions :)

Thanks Paulus,

Loving this community already! Such great advice that gives me as a newbie renewed confidence!

I would like to sell 98% of the world coin collection and focus solely of GB and not sure what type yet but I really like the GIII era. Expensive though!:o

25 minutes ago, Weaver said:

I totally agree, so what is the best way to sell 2000 or so world coins to create some funds to buy 1 or 2 really choice coins?

I've got a similar issue. Bags full of world coins, not what I collect. I started looking them up and comparing to those listed on ebay, and found it just wasn't worth it for 99p at a time and all the hassle with posting etc. 

So I thought I might as well keep them - bought an album from Chris (I need another two or three) and started filling it. I've decided I now collect everything. :D

7 minutes ago, Weaver said:

And that is EXACTLY what I'm doing right now my man!

Got some time off work sorting through the 2000 or so coins and looking up each one like this rather nice 1913 Prussian 3 Mark coin...

I know it's not a good grade but it's 0.900 fine silver so worth a few pennies even in bullion value right?

Good news!

Absolutely, probably a good idea just to take out anything you have that has silver content and list those separately from the others. Bullion is bullion like you say.

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I've got a similar issue. Bags full of world coins, not what I collect. I started looking them up and comparing to those listed on ebay, and found it just wasn't worth it for 99p at a time and all the hassle with posting etc. 

So I thought I might as well keep them - bought an album from Chris (I need another two or three) and started filling it. I've decided I now collect everything. :D

Nice one! Although that's sad you couldn't shift any on Ebay:(

I probably have 20-50 coins per country in the collection so maybe a bulk listing on Ebay per country?

Never thought about the Facebook approach as Paulus suggested...

Lots to consider....:wacko:

But for now I've got 1999 coins to sort through...number 1 was that nice Prussian 3 Mark coin...you know what's gonna happen right...:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Nordle11 said:

Good news!

Absolutely, probably a good idea just to take out anything you have that has silver content and list those separately from the others. Bullion is bullion like you say.

Now that's interesting...

Take out the silver content coins eh?...

I'd say 20% of the collection has silver content.

Do you think the rest would still sell?

6 minutes ago, Weaver said:

Nice one! Although that's sad you couldn't shift any on Ebay:(

Oh, I could. Just didn't think the time and effort was worth it. I'd rather have the coins than the aggravation. Was fun sorting out the arabic ones though, and I learnt a bit lot. ;)

I've even got a few of those swedes you like. :D

• Like 1

If they're going to be worth more for their silver content than the grade of the coin, I'd just put it aside in a silver pile and list all of the silver at once.

The rest will probably still sell, even if it's just at 99p, but you'll definitely get your money's worth for the silver. Don't forget to list what you have, so weigh all the .500 silver and write down the weight, then the .900 etc. So the listing says, for example, you've got 50 grams of silver which breaks down as 20g @ .500 and 30g @ .900.

Take a look at a few bulk listings on eBay and get a feel, what would you be more likely to bid on, a listing of a pile of silver coins that just says 'silver coins', or one that tells you exactly what you're getting in terms of weight and silver content.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Oh, I could. Just didn't think the time and effort was worth it. I'd rather have the coins than the aggravation. Was fun sorting out the arabic ones though, and I learnt a bit lot. ;)

I've even got a few of those swedes you like. :D

I have got a load of Arabic coins including a huge silver one that I haven't got a clue what it is:wacko:

What swedes have you got??

2 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

If they're going to be worth more for their silver content than the grade of the coin, I'd just put it aside in a silver pile and list all of the silver at once.

The rest will probably still sell, even if it's just at 99p, but you'll definitely get your money's worth for the silver. Don't forget to list what you have, so weigh all the .500 silver and write down the weight, then the .900 etc. So the listing says, for example, you've got 50 grams of silver which breaks down as 20g @ .500 and 30g @ .900.

Take a look at a few bulk listings on eBay and get a feel, what would you be more likely to bid on, a listing of a pile of silver coins that just says 'silver coins', or one that tells you exactly what you're getting in terms of weight and silver content.

Awesome advice! Many many thanks my friend!!!!B)

It's gonna take me a few months to get everything sorted, but just like mrbadexample I know I'm gonna learn soo much!

But definitely have too many so must sell and of course re-invest;)

...I'm waiting for the chorus of 'you can never have too many coins...:lol:

2 minutes ago, Weaver said:

What swedes have you got??

Nothing terribly special I don't suppose - bit of a mix from 1 ore to one krone 1929-1988. 

Thanks mrbadexample,

The Swedish Ore collection inherited from my Grandfather is all pre-1940's.

What is the 1929 you have?

10 ore. Most of it is 60s-70s plus a couple earlier and a couple later.

Is it just the single 1929 10 ore?

I already have one you see, but wouldn't mind a look.

If you have time can you post a quick pic?

They have silver 0.400 content but quite common so at most we are talking 50p in VF :)