British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I hope you will forgive my novice-like question on these - I am relatively new to proofs, only having started taking an interest over the last year, and the literature I have does not seem to give much detail about them, Questions seem to arise on this Forum frequently  regarding is it or is it not a proof, are any perceived hairlines from the dies or post-mint, and what is the difference (if any) between Specimen and Proof.

So I have on approval this 1902 matching Matt Proof set, which I like. I would assess the coins as 'virtually as struck ((but not fully FDC), problem-free, and matt proof'. I am running it past you guys as part of due diligence. They come with a matching Maundy set and the original box, which I have not pictured.

Any input very gratefully received :)

1902_set_pf_01_1300.jpg

what are your thoughts @VickySilver?

Edited by Paulus

Hi Paulus,

Had a look over your set there. I would say about an average set, which is not to say unattractive. They look to have the usual wipe, esp. the shilling near the lion on reverse. IMO, probably the most important surface of all of these would be the Crown obverse, and then the Crown reverse - the former looks good on this site. The florin is rather attractive as well.

Obviously I like proofs and so am a bit biased here (even a bad proof on a bad day is a good coin) so this is a bit price dependent - and not that I would expect you to share this bit. Proofs are also seemingly on the move, though the earlier Vicky (!!) bits a bit steeper; I lean toward thinking that the later Eddie and Georgie 5 plus maybe the George 6 Crowns may follow.

Hi Paulus,

In the end it comes down to price v quality. They all look to be UNC coins and all UNC Edward coins command big money even dated 1902. I do not have a set but have picked up the crown, halfcrown  and florin as matte proof coins over time but the Maundy, sixpence and shilling escape me along with the gold.

One thing I have found with coins is as soon as you buy one that you have been looking for more always seem turn up. Then you start to ask yourself is the one better than the one I have just obtained is it cheaper etc. I think, although I know it's hard,  you have to know when to stop.

Funny, I agree with that - you have a nice bit and then another comes along that seems just that little bit better. I really don't recommend looking at these under high power mag as the hairlines start to appear as canyons...They are IMO truly lovely.

Something strikes me as off with this set...

I know what it is...

They're all the same size. :P

That crown's a lovely piece. :)

One of my favourite coins in that lot. There is something about the Edward VII florins, stunning coins. One set of silvers that I could definitely go for!!!!

The question is who wouldn't be happy to own this set.

If you ever get bored with them - remember your friends.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:11 AM, VickySilver said:

Hi Paulus,

Had a look over your set there. I would say about an average set, which is not to say unattractive. They look to have the usual wipe, esp. the shilling near the lion on reverse. IMO, probably the most important surface of all of these would be the Crown obverse, and then the Crown reverse - the former looks good on this site. The florin is rather attractive as well.

Obviously I like proofs and so am a bit biased here (even a bad proof on a bad day is a good coin) so this is a bit price dependent - and not that I would expect you to share this bit. Proofs are also seemingly on the move, though the earlier Vicky (!!) bits a bit steeper; I lean toward thinking that the later Eddie and Georgie 5 plus maybe the George 6 Crowns may follow.

I have read that they were wiped at the mint. Does anyone know why they did it?

Nice set by the way. I particularly like the crown.

My 1902 crown.

img032.jpg

img033.jpg

Wow...A post on silver that has grabbed my attention.;). My only observation is although they look beautiful we have comments from experienced members (and respected by me).My comments thus

1. Better sets are available.
  2. You will only be buying one set.
  3. Price ? and ease of upgrading?

If you are asking questions maybe you have your doubts?

You have bench marked this set...in your court Paul.

You're spot on with that Peter, they are nice but not quite nice enough, there are better out there and I won't be wanting to upgrade.

Thanks very much for all your thoughts gents :)

Back they go (I think!)