British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Benio

Beginner in need of guidance

Hi Everybody,

I'm a complete beginner, know absolutely nothing about coins.

My interest has come as over the last few years my Grandad has begun to buy me coins for special events, they are new, silver coins from the royal mint which i imagine have relatively low value due to being so new.

I've been reading around a little and to be honest i don't really know where to start, i would like to start a small collection with a fairly small budget & i've read that being quite specific is a good starting point.

Would anyone be able to suggest a good "first collection" which would be rewarding to collect but at the same time not be too large & expensive?

Ideally i would like to collect British coins, aside from that i'm open to any ideas at all

Thanks for any assistance

Ben

Hi Ben, welcome :)

I would suggest you collect what you like the look of. Buy a few books from this site, especially the grading book and try to get to a coin fair if at all possible.

I only started collecting last July and the knowledge available here from the long term members is brilliant. I initially started wanting to collect Halfcrowns but I have started to buy whatever I fancy when the budget allows. One of the best bits of advice I was given was buy the highest grade you can. I have a limited budget but try to buy the best I can with it.

I am sure some of the more knowledgeable members will be along shortly to offer you some pearls of wisdom :)

Good luck and welcome to a wonderful hobby!

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum Ben.

Definitely get yourself a book or 2 and have a look at some different types, see what you like. Some denominations may be cheaper than others but if you don't enjoy the look of them you probably won't enjoy collecting them as much. You can find many great books at http://www.rotographic.com/ which is owned by the same person who owns this forum too.

As Non also suggests, see if you can get to a coin fair where you can take a look at pretty much any type of coin that is available, get a feel of some of them in hand and see what draws you in. You can also get some great advice from people who have been at it for many years, plus get a general idea of prices too.

Any questions you have along the way feel free to ask, everyone here is extremely helpful and will always point you in the right direction.

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

Im just looking at the books now, im guessing the kindle books are more for reference as i don't think my kindle would show the images?

My main concern is that i would pick a theme which was either far too vast to ever realistically make any progress or that was far too valuable & again i would be left stuck.

If you want a feel of prices, but do take them with a pinch of salt, have a look at http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/ where you can find price guides which I think are taken from the books. That way you can see roughly what things will start to cost as you get further back (or forward) in your collection.

There's lot of ways to collect though; by denomination, by metal type, by monarch, there's even a collector on here who likes to buy coins that feature horses. It's all down to your preferences, and normally your budget plays a factor too ;).

7 hours ago, Benio said:

Thanks guys!

Im just looking at the books now, im guessing the kindle books are more for reference as i don't think my kindle would show the images?

My main concern is that i would pick a theme which was either far too vast to ever realistically make any progress or that was far too valuable & again i would be left stuck.

It should show the images, but saying that I'm not quite sure how it works on a kindle with a non-colour display like those paperwhite ones.

Hi Ben,

You will find there is lots of very knowledgeable people on here, all generous with their time and knowledge to help you out, but as said above, find something that you like and set small goals, maybe just one denomination of one monarch, than you can expand into other denominations or reigns as you get more experience. 

One piece of advice that many give is to always buy the best you can afford.

Ian.. 

Welcome to forum, 

As other members have said, books are a good way to start. Try and keep an eye out for a copy of Coincraft, the prices are out of date, but it's a fantastic reference.  A lot of information and pictures right back to 1066. Second hand copies can be picked up very cheaply if you look around,  I picked mine up for £2.81 all in. 

Most importantly take your time and have fun.

Hi Benio, 

I'm a newbie like you and also like you my Grandfather also encouraged my interest in all things coin-like! In his memory I continue his passion for collecting 19th & early 20th Centry Swedish coins. Not suggesting that you should collect the same, but have a chat with your Grandad and see what he suggests! You never know, you might end up sharing ownership of few nice pieces!

All the best,

Wayne

A great place to start would be with the 1901 to 1910 Ed Pennies.

I have just replied to another thread and type collector springs to mind.

A 1906 1d looks so much like a 1907 1d do you just want date runs? Will your 1906 not be as nice as your 1908? Could you live with this? There are loads of things to consider.The finest examples of any coin will always be in demand.I started off on the date run scenario but now a 'dyed in the wool' type collector. Modern RM issues will burn your £ on a non return basis.The historic aspect of a coin gives me my buzz.Books,internet,fairs and your own research will be your friend.   Welcome to the forum of procrastination,bedwetters and thoroughly decent chaps (and chapettes).;)

• Like 3

Wow, thanks guys!

great response, im a little confused by the type collector... am i right in thinking

• date collector would collect a single denomination in every possible year
  • type collector would collect every denomination from a single year / monarch / etc...

A type collector will get an example of each basic type, usually the cheapest date for the issue unless they have deeper pockets. Many but not all issues have a key date which costs multiples of the cheapest year.

OK i think i get it, so year doesn't really come into it you are just aiming for 1 of everything :) 

1 hour ago, Benio said:

OK i think i get it, so year doesn't really come into it you are just aiming for 1 of everything :) 

That's how started Benio.  I found a book about shillings and.. well, I decided to collect shillings! .. Just a nice example of each major redesign of each reign.  Not looking for minor varieties.  I also picked up examples of shillings struck for Commonwealth countries out of interest.

In the end I thinned it down and now only collect hammered (hand struck) shillings from one reign.  That's because I not only got to like the look and history of hammered coins, but it was too expensive on my budget to buy all the milled (machine made) types too.

Not suggesting you should do the same.  Just an example of how I got going..

Welcome to the forum, you have had some great responses already. Have a look at what coins are about and see if any take your fancy. Farthings have always been my thing, and as you can see from the posts above we all have different areas of collecting so there is no right or wrong answer on what to collect...see what sorts of coins appeal to you.

Edited by Colin G.

Welcome, I too am a relative newbie (2yrs) having started after being passed my grandads accumulation one Xmas, nothing valuable but full of history and my avatar pic was the first coin I ID'd. I started thinking my interest was George III as I liked the Sharpe films. Even though there's some great numismatic interest in this period, my interests never really developed, I don't know why.  I have since moved into type collecting milled half-crowns and working my way through the various mints and moneyers of Henry III silver pennies which can be got in brilliant condition at relatively cheap prices!

From my own experience I'd advise not to get too "het up" in initially defining what type of collector you are and just buy what you like the look of. And please, for goodness sake, do not collect milled pennies! Variety is the spice of life!

On 18 March 2016 at 8:33 PM, Chris Perkins said:

It should show the images, but saying that I'm not quite sure how it works on a kindle with a non-colour display like those paperwhite ones.

Hi Chris, it's decent actually!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richtips86 said:

Hi Chris, it's decent actually!

Do they show in black & white? I can't say i've ever had anything with pictures on the kindle

I've had a bit of a look round & i think i'm leaning towards the threepence, as there seems to be a lot of variety in shape & material, there are some cheaper & some rarer examples to try collect so i think i'm going to start there.

Thanks again for everyone's help

On 24 March 2016 at 8:43 AM, Benio said:

Do they show in black & white? I can't say i've ever had anything with pictures on the kindle

Yeah I have a kindle fire and they're black and white

On 24/03/2016 at 8:45 AM, Benio said:

I've had a bit of a look round & i think i'm leaning towards the threepence, as there seems to be a lot of variety in shape & material, there are some cheaper & some rarer examples to try collect so i think i'm going to start there.

Threepences eh Benio? I like it:)

There are some nice designs to collect and depending upon how far back you're thinking some lovely silver content too;)

Remember, anything pre-1920 is worth collecting because in 1920 the Mint reduced the Silver fineness from 925 parts pure per 1,000 to only 500 parts pure per 1,000.

On 24/03/2016 at 9:45 AM, Benio said:

Can be an interesting denomination to collect. Quite a few minor varieties for the threepences. If you haven't already,  a copy of Davies may come in handy.