British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
evansuk2000

Identify this?

Does it have a reverse design? If not it's a button!!!

I am not an expert in this coinage so I can give a judice about the originality of the coin. It could be a penny of Aethelwulf ( 839 - 855 ) or of his son Aethelberht ( 858 - 865/6 ) 

spink 1051 or 1053 for example , 

but of course we need the image of   Reverse for a better idetification :)

My first impression is that it is a modern replica.  The design looks more as if it was struck using tools than from a single die to me.

However, I've no real experience with the series so am happy to be corrected.  I think a photo of the obverse might help clarify things.

The lettering in cruciform would suggest Aethelberht(858-66) but I agree it does look like a modern copy. It would take an expert to identify it. Local museum perhaps?

We have to be wary as there are many sources of copies, apart from China. The French petrol stations were issuing ancient coin replicas way back and now a new Magazine series called "Rulers of Britain coin collection" will be giving repros away with each issue. Many don't include the WRL stamp to show it's fake!

Edited by Geordie582

It would be much easier if the o/p had just a picture of the coin on a plain background and filling the frame. 3/4 of the image is wasted, Just a plain scan would be better, less clutter = easier id.

I'd gladly put money on it being a modern replica.