British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
jelida

Best coin capsules?

How do members rate the various brands of coin capsule available? I have decided to store my better pennies in capsules in the trays of my coin cabinets. I have a couple of capsules that conform to the general Lighthouse brand formula, but they feel rather cheap and a couple have slight crazing of the edges. I have one that came with a penny from Rob that is much nicer, and fits a penny perfectly (no rattling) , rounded edges, flat sides, internal dia 31mm appx, external 36mm appx. Does any-one know what make that would be? I would need up to a couple of hundred, but would be happy to order from overseas if necessary.

Do members have any issues with coin capsules?

Jerry

Being new to coin capsules the only problem I have found with them and it is a lesson learnt for me which is to get the right size capsule for the coin. I had a coin in a capsule that was probably 1mm bigger than the coin. This small movement was enough for a high point on the coin to rub against the inside of the capsule and remove some of the tone. It put me off capsules and now I put my coins in 2 x 2 flips.

1 minute ago, IanB said:

Being new to coin capsules the only problem I have found with them and it is a lesson learnt for me which is to get the right size capsule for the coin. I had a coin in a capsule that was probably 1mm bigger than the coin. This small movement was enough for a high point on the coin to rub against the inside of the capsule and remove some of the tone. It put me off capsules and now I put my coins in 2 x 2 flips.

I have about 1mm leeway in mine and they move ever so slightly. You've got me worried now!

3 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I have about 1mm leeway in mine and they move ever so slightly. You've got me worried now!

I should clarify and add that I was carrying the capsule around for a couple of days in my bag so there was probably more movement than if it was in a drawer or something similar. However it did annoy me and I will make sure in future that I have a snug fit rather than a loose fit. (No double entendre intended:blink:)

So they certainly have to be a perfect fit. I do want a circular capsule, to fit in my coin trays . I think I need a comment from Rob if possible, his appear spot-on.

Has anybody tried the American Air-tite brand?  They seem well liked on the net. You can also get circular inserts that prevent movement. Son is off to the USA with work shortly, could bring some back.

Jerry

I don't buy them, just accumulate a wide range of sizes and makes from whoever I acqure the coins from, then choose the one for the best fit. They might have come from Damian, but not guaranteed.

I use quadrums just because they look nice, standardise the size, are easy to open for pictures and can be reused.

Edited by Nonmortuus
  • Like 1

I use the Lighthouse/Leuchtturm and find them perfect for my needs.

Quadrums for me too. The uniformity across the range make it ideal. Plus they fit correctly protect your coins well and look great.

On 14 March 2016 at 10:47 PM, bhx7 said:

Plus they fit correctly protect your coins well and look great.

As Quadrums are metric sized, I found that some denominations just don't fit snugly in any insert. My attempts to resize inserts by hacking them with sissors were pitiful to behold. For me, the solution was to purchase a hot-wire foam and polystyrene cutter - perfect for adjusting insert apertures by a few millimetres.

5 hours ago, DougB said:

As Quadrums are metric sized, I found that some denominations just don't fit snugly in any insert. My attempts to resize inserts by hacking them with sissors were pitiful to behold. For me, the solution was to purchase a hot-wire foam and polystyrene cutter - perfect for adjusting insert apertures by a few millimetres.

I have to say since I posted this I have started getting them for bronze Half-pennies. Some fit fine but others are a bit loose fitting!

For half crowns the 32mm Quadrums are spot on. The 16mm for threepence are a bit tight and fiddly but once they are in they are fine.

I've just ordered a few sizes of capsuals from China at less that 10p a pop delivered.Hopefully for use with cut hammered or snippets of numismatic info (tickets,lables ETC) 

I also have some foreign...predominantly French 18C that do not fit into a tray or a flip due to size.

Yikes, no  promises on the plastic composition on the China capsules...

I am looking for the 61 mm size for a few of those enormous Panama 20 Balboa bits (chunks?).

Weren't the 20 Balboa's just issued in the proof sets? I've just got the 1976 set which I picked up for a song some years ago.Some of the nicest looking coins IMO.

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Weren't the 20 Balboa's just issued in the proof sets? I've just got the 1976 set which I picked up for a song some years ago.Some of the nicest looking coins IMO.

The 20 Balboa's were also issued in single coin proofs. They came in a plastic capsule, and were boxed.

Yes, it's those capsules I'd like to get a few of as I have some loose bits and they are not only large but evidently not commonly sized. I really like the central design on the 1984 coin that shows the Native guide just above Balboa's shoulder pointing out to the Pacific.

I sold 10 of the 20 Balboa Proof Coins (incapsulated) about 2 years ago. They were part of my Brother-in-laws estate. I don't have any now.

I am really looking for rimless capsules, I find them more attractive. Airtite and Guardhouse in the USA make lovely capsules, but not in 31mm, and the 30.6mm 'half dollar' capsule does not fit. The Leuchtturm Ultra are nice, but the nearest sise is 32.5mm so rattly. But I know some-one makes them, as I have one that came with a coin! Waiting to try some Schulz caps now.

Jerry

Jerry I did a quick google and found these. Are these the type of thing you are after?

Marketing bumf:

No rim coin capsules has 0,3mm extra in inner diameter which allows to fit same diameter of coin to coin capsule. In this case, for example, 27mm diameter coin will be perfect coin capsule 27mm. 

http://store.pellers.eu/coin-capsules/capsules-without-rim

Edited by Nonmortuus

Without sounding a neg head and they sound spot on.

I once purchased a coin and was that good a fit i could not get the..... ""£%&*&&^%.....thing out :D

Suggest as anything just try a couple first.

They do look good. I will try a pack. Thanks, Non.

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jelida said:

They do look good. I will try a pack. Thanks, Non.

Jerry

No problem Jerry, I am happy to try and help and I hope they are what you are after :)

• Like 1