British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Good day to all.

I'm looking for some advice. I want to buy a British shilling from 1911-1916 that has been in circulation.  I'm not a coin collector but I want to buy a coin that holds deep history and has been in and out of many hands, pockets and tills.  The year holds great sentimental memories for me.

I'm looking at two coins, and undecided on which to buy.  The first link shows a coin in much better condition and this is the one I was planning to purchase, but my question to you would be is this coin unlikely to of been circulated much if it's still in such good condition?  And therefore should i opt for the 2nd link which is far more distress?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/925-Silver-1916-Great-Britain-George-V-Shilling-KM-816-Nice-Circulated-X21-/201526751981?hash=item2eebee32ed:g:ZHIAAOSwG-1Wx9MR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/British-Silver-Shilling-1911-King-George-V-1-Unlimited-Shipping-/311560871898?hash=item488a799fda:g:wlcAAOSwv9hW248h

They are both fairly dire, so your concern about buying something in too good condition is not relevant.

You aren't looking to buy an investment, nor aiming for quality, so you might as well spend as little as possible.

In a 100 years these will still be worth nothing more than the metal content less the melting costs.

They are both much of a muchness really there is nothing much in the prices so it really boils down to if you like the coin .

Personally I would think both are worth around $4  or around melt value - but i would not put you off buying either coin as long as you like it and want it

Maybe up your game and buy the best you can afford.The coins you refer to are too expensive for a melt purchase.

18 hours ago, Rob said:

They are both fairly dire, so your concern about buying something in too good condition is not relevant.

You aren't looking to buy an investment, nor aiming for quality, so you might as well spend as little as possible.

Thank you Rob.  So Is it right to assume that both of these coins have been heavily used and meet my objectives of finding a coin thats been used a lot in that period?

Will make this nice and easy,just PM me your address and will send one FOC.

Pete :D

1 hour ago, pb1ake12 said:

Thank you Rob.  So Is it right to assume that both of these coins have been heavily used and meet my objectives of finding a coin thats been used a lot in that period?

Both coins would of circulated heavily up to approx the mid 60's when the pre 1920 silver magically disappeared from circulation.

1920-46 hung around until decimalization (gradually decreasing) Take Pete's offer:)