British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi,

Struggling to get to the bottom of this after exhaustive research. Just how rare is the 1845 5 over 3. Spink catalogue says extremely rare, new spink has ?

I know that in low grades the 5/3 could be hard to verify, but it is clearly discernible in high grade. Of course that just makes it harder. Any thoughts?

Rob, anyone?

Regards

Mark

I've only got this, which was the Adams coin. He only knew of his own, but that was 10 years ago and more.

Sorry, I don't bust a gut looking at YH halfcrowns specifically as I already have an example of this type. I would only perk up if something appeared to be cheap.

1845 5 over 3.doc

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Hope all is well, thanks for that.

It is just a hard coin to get a handle on. I'm assuming its rarer than the 1843 but not the 1841. But have to confess that's just a gut feeling.

Mark

I would think it is rarer than the 41, but the latter gets all the kudos because it is a different date and an 1845 is commoner. What people don't know, they tend not to look for. Overstruck characters are usually only found on one or two dies, so are inherently rarer. The 1841 might be a rare year for coins to be struck or dated, but the absolute rarity is likely to be the single die variety.

Interesting. Must say I was leaning toward very rare but hadn't considered your single die statement. 

What is certain these rarely come to market. Thanks for your thoughts they have cemented mine.

Mark

Well, I have one in the GEF range. Overdates I think are just not that exciting, no matter how rare. Another bit even more rare IMO is the 1843/54 groat that looks like a corrupted 1853. To the Vicky silver collector (hmmm, possibly not just me) these are not all that significant no matter the rarity. I have seen a number for sale in the VF range and though I have not counted, and can not rule out listings of the same coin, believe it not as rare as advertised in any case.

There will be more to find, that's certain. To work out how many we will need to know how many overcut dies there are. One of the blessings of overdates is that the change is always made by hand, assisting in establishing the number of dies extant. :)

So Rob and Vicki, 

How many have you seen? Back of the  envelope figure will do.

Of those how many in high grade, say EF or above?

Over what time period?

MARK

I've only seen a two or three, but then that is dependent on me searching YH halfcrowns which is not that often. There was one reasonable piece as I recall, but can't remember where - it was about 10(?) years ago.

I agree with Vicky.  YH Victorian Halfcrowns are at heart of my collecting focus and I am also not very excited about  these overdates.  I’d rather prefer choice truly UNC specimen of  normal date. We are probably not the only ones, as example in GEF (CGS 70, which would be for many dealers A/UNC or even UNC)  sold at LCA 148, March 15 (lot 2622) for £600,- +BP and another  example described as A/UNC sold in A147 in December 2014 for £850,- +BP  - which is probably not very different from what you would expect normal  1845 2/6d to achieve in these grades.  I find much more challenging to find truly UNC example of normal 1845 Halfcrown (if anybody is  aware of one for sale, please let me know!)

18 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Well, I have one in the GEF range. Overdates I think are just not that exciting, no matter how rare. Another bit even more rare IMO is the 1843/54 groat that looks like a corrupted 1853. To the Vicky silver collector (hmmm, possibly not just me) these are not all that significant no matter the rarity. I have seen a number for sale in the VF range and though I have not counted, and can not rule out listings of the same coin, believe it not as rare as advertised in any case.

Can you or anyone post a picture of the 1843 groat with 4 over 5??

I have been looking for one of these for ages, and have never even seen a convincing specimen!! Yet in the catalogues very little premium value is suggested.

Hi Martin, 

PM me with email and i'll send it - i am not able to post on these pages for some reason...