British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Zond

Help Please To Identify

Hi. Here I'm sending a few scans of a coin that I found in the top soil that I order for my polytonal. Could you identify this coin please and value if it is possible. Thanks a Lot. Regards John. 

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi John , Ive only just seen your post but  I can tell you ,you have Viking coin of Anlaf Sihtricsson  941-944AD.

They were mainly struck at York. Did the topsoil come from that area ? I think I would buy a couple more tonnes and sieve through it or get a metal detector. :)

priced in Spink at £1850 in fine and £7500 in VF, I think yours would be nearer vf for that type

• Like 1

Should cover the cost of the topsoil. :) Nice find.

my goodness yes what a find !

Well done !

I know nothing of viking coinage, but the rulers name is given as REGNALD CVNVI on this coin, and the reverse may read AVRA MONIT REI'. I cant find an exact parallel in Spink, though the style is certainly like no. 1022. Needs an expert to pronounce on its authenticity.

Jerry

Your right Jerry, Spink 1025 is more like it,and higher priced.

looks authentic to me ,but I'm no expert

3 hours ago, Richard2 said:

Your right Jerry, Spink 1025 is more like it,and higher priced.

looks authentic to me ,but I'm no expert

Yes, that is it. Looks authentic to me too, having dug many soil found hammies over the years. But needs accurate weight , and the opinion of an appropriate expert to be sure. But if right, what a find!

Jerry

Sen a picture to the British Museum. I've found them extremely helpful. Make sure to add diameter and weight.

Edited by Geordie582

I see this actual coin sold on ebay the other week for £7500

So it did, £5700. And the vendor was in Ireland, which is probably why it quickly went on the bay, before the state could claim it.

Several bidders clearly happy it was genuine.

Jerry

My mistake, £5700, well spotted Jerry