British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

38 minutes ago, Colin G. said:

Politics and forums is never a good idea..are we sure we want to head down this route...we end up arguing over whether a coin should be encased in plastic :lol:

Indeed. But is that not a far bigger issue that an EU in / out referendum? :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Indeed. But is that not a far bigger issue that an EU in / out referendum? :lol:

Probably. This country is only divided from Europe by the English Channel. In the case of slabs, the gulf is as wide as the Atlantic

• Like 1

Still undecided but the masses will follow the Red tops.

I'm all for decent debates.

I think immigration is a subject that some give far too much impotance too. The impartial studies suggest it's not the burden on the UK taxpayer some seem to believe it is. They also forget about the 2 million plus brits working in the EU. I suspect many have issues with people from other countries.

Likewise there are some people voting out as they think it will cost Cameron his job. The job he's already planning on resigning from in the near future. These fools really should try and focus on the big picture and the long term future of the UK.

13 minutes ago, Mynki said:

I think immigration is a subject that some give far too much impotance too. The impartial studies suggest it's not the burden on the UK taxpayer some seem to believe it is. They also forget about the 2 million plus brits working in the EU. I suspect many have issues with people from other countries.

Likewise there are some people voting out as they think it will cost Cameron his job. The job he's already planning on resigning from in the near future. These fools really should try and focus on the big picture and the long term future of the UK.

Hear, hear. Even if we are on different sides of the debate. :)

I am still undecided but at the moment I am leaning towards out.

I would much prefer us to have control of our own laws, our own borders and be able to implement a points style system for economic migrants. I am not saying stop migration at all, just have better control over who we want in and who we want out. Also the fact we cannot deal with certain people due to the the Human Rights act, a direct result of our relationship with Europe, really does annoy me. I plan to read up some more before I decide either way but I am finding the scare mongering from the 'In' campaign is pushing me the other way.

I found Question Time last week a particularly good one. The 'In' lobby in particular would rather talk about the dangers of leaving rather than the benefits from staying in (obviously the 'Out' lobby wouldn't do that but you know what I mean!) Neither side is able to back up their arguments with sound statistics, as there are just too many unknowns.

Undecided at present. Being out but with trade agreements seems to be working well for the likes of Norway though.

2.4m people from other EU countries living and working in the UK

That has to be only a estimate of workers who have bothered to register and a massive under estimation of how many are actually living/working in the uk

Odds are roughly 3/1 ON that we will vote to stay in according to the bookies.

Trump is about 3/1 AGAINST to be next US president (still scary though)

8 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Also the fact we cannot deal with certain people due to the the Human Rights act, a direct result of our relationship with Europe, really does annoy me.

Neither the European Convention on Human Rights nor the European Court of Human Rights are EU bodies. The UK was signed up to them (and in the case of the Convention largely created it) before it ever joined the EU and the UK would still be a party to them even if it left the EU.

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

The 'In' lobby in particular would rather talk about the dangers of leaving rather than the benefits from staying in (obviously the 'Out' lobby wouldn't do that but you know what I mean!) Neither side is able to back up their arguments with sound statistics, as there are just too many unknowns.

As an internationalist by nature, I'm definitely in the IN camp, but I'm seriously depressed by the low standard of debate from both sides, not helped by the media's obsession with personalities rather than the issues

Edited by davidrj

Our biggest problem over the last 40 year is that we wanted to be in but not join in.

• Like 1

Thank goodness that we on the other side of the Atlantic don't have to deal with " the media's obsession with personalities rather than the issues".  ;)

9 minutes ago, Coppers said:

Thank goodness that we on the other side of the Atlantic don't have to deal with " the media's obsession with personalities rather than the issues".  ;)

Judging by the reporting of the primaries, it is everything to do with personalities. A bit short on substance IMO.

8 hours ago, davidrj said:

Neither the European Convention on Human Rights nor the European Court of Human Rights are EU bodies. The UK was signed up to them (and in the case of the Convention largely created it) before it ever joined the EU and the UK would still be a party to them even if it left the EU.

I agree, but are there not number of elements that specifically apply to members of the European Union? Article 16? I am really interested to learn more about how our relationship with the EU will impact the humans rights act that stops us deporting people purely becuase they were lucky enough to breed before they were caught and convicted. The right to have a family should not out weigh the right of the rest of us to not live in fear of some nutter. If leaving the EU would have no impact on the Human rights rulings from Europe that our courts have to follow then I would like to know more please :)

51 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I am really interested to learn more about how our relationship with the EU will impact the humans rights act that stops us deporting people purely becuase they were lucky enough to breed before they were caught and convicted. The right to have a family should not out weigh the right of the rest of us to not live in fear of some nutter. If leaving the EU would have no impact on the Human rights rulings from Europe that our courts have to follow then I would like to know more please :)

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me we should work within the system to amend the law, throwing away legal protection of the basic rights of millions is not the correct way to deal with a handful of scumbags

Edited by davidrj

12 hours ago, George111 said:

That has to be only a estimate of workers who have bothered to register and a massive under estimation of how many are actually living/working in the uk

Just out of interest, what evidence is that statement based on? 

There will of course be illegal immigrants here. Always has been, always will be just as there are in every other country. But whether we remain in or not, they'll always be here so they make no real difference to the decision to stay in or leave do they? 

How can a system that can get such basic logical decisions so wrong be workable? The legal protection of our citizens would and should be protected by our own legal system. I like to think the moral principles on which this country is based are quite balanced and compared to other countries around the globe are amongst the best. Do we honestly believe that the basic rights of millions would be lost and our moral obligations would change in such a drastic way if we were not in the EU?

But I would argue that if we were out we could have more influence over own destiny.

The principles of globalisation are fine, but we can't make a single union of a handful of countries work harmoniously, the EU is the next step up and is also struggling to make decisions with a single goal in mind because each nation inevitably is fighting for their own corner.

Does the man on the street actually know or care where the laws come from, isn't this just our MPs scrapping over who's in charge and won't accept they are no more than a regional assembly. I'd clear the lot of them out and make the MEP's electable. I assume all the MP's will be doing the right thing and resigning atfer the people have spoken when found to be on the wrong side. I can't imagine any of them have canvassed the opinion of their constituents before expressing their own opinions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin G. said:

How can a system that can get such basic logical decisions so wrong be workable? The legal protection of our citizens would and should be protected by our own legal system. I like to think the moral principles on which this country is based are quite balanced and compared to other countries around the globe are amongst the best. Do we honestly believe that the basic rights of millions would be lost and our moral obligations would change in such a drastic way if we were not in the EU?

But I would argue that if we were out we could have more influence over own destiny.

The principles of globalisation are fine, but we can't make a single union of a handful of countries work harmoniously, the EU is the next step up and is also struggling to make decisions with a single goal in mind because each nation inevitably is fighting for their own corner.

we could have more influence over own destiny

2 hours ago, Mynki said:

Just out of interest, what evidence is that statement based on? 

There will of course be illegal immigrants here. Always has been, always will be just as there are in every other country. But whether we remain in or not, they'll always be here so they make no real difference to the decision to stay in or leave do they? 

Iv'e no evidence but It would simply be impossible to say how many from the EU there really are here because they don't all put them selves into the system whether that's because they can't speak/wright English or modern day slaves

Illegal immigrants is a whole new ball game and we could do a lot more to stop this and needs a thread all on its own :( 

47 minutes ago, jacinbox said:

we could have more influence over own destiny

Damn it, auto correct...or my fingers and brain not co-ordinating!! :D

4 minutes ago, George111 said:

Iv'e no evidence but It would simply be impossible to say how many from the EU there really are here because they don't all put them selves into the system whether that's because they can't speak/wright English or modern day slaves

sic :ph34r:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, George111 said:

Illegal immigrants is a whole new ball game and we could do a lot more to stop this and needs a thread all on its own :( 

So, how are these alleged immigrants a problem? If they're not in the system they can't be claiming benefits etc. 

2 minutes ago, Mynki said:

So, how are these alleged immigrants a problem? If they're not in the system they can't be claiming benefits etc. 

They take all of the jobs in the black economy so there's none for benifit claiments.