British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

LCA auction

12 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Don't submit a pre-auction bid you won't be entirely happy with if you win it, is the best advice I can give!

I would hope the lot goes for a lot less than I bid, of course, but what will be will be. :)

When the auctioneer passes, it is because the reserve hasn't been reached. If that happens to be 20% under estimate, then so be it, but it could easily be at low estimate, or 40% below, even no reserve, but as happened in the December sale, they might still pass them if the lack of interest is too embarassing. Estimated at 1K and selling for 100 doesn't look good for the auctioneer

MBE

I've just seen your bid on Auctionsneeker.com and regret my bid on the coin is the highest.Fingers X I get it.

You missed a good example.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, secret santa said:

Just to correct a statement above - there's no VAT on the buyer's premium - 17% is the uplift, pure & simple. I too have won lots below my maximum bid so I think they're pretty fair.

Spot on. Apart from postage and packing, 17% in absolute terms is all I've ever paid on top of bid price.

With regard to the eventual bid price compared to what I actually bid via e mail, these are the details from my last 5 successful bids.

March 2013 auction, lot No 2112, e mail bid £375, actual winning bid £360.

September 2013, lot No 2655, e mail bid £650, actual winning bid identical, £650. 

December 2013 auction, lot  No 2166, e mail bid £451, actual winning bid £420.

June 2014 auction, lot No 1923, email bid £200, actual winning bid £180.

September 2014 auction lot No 2732, e mail bid £100, actual winning bid £80.

Edited by 1949threepence
typos

It should only sell at your max book bid, if there are two book bids for the same amount, or one increment between them. Ie the book bids have bid against each other to their max.

My mistake. It's DNW where VAT is payable on the buyers premium. 

VAT is payable on all buyers premium unless you are outside the EU, or in the unlikely event of the auctioneer not being VAT registered.

10 hours ago, Peter said:

MBE

I've just seen your bid on Auctionsneeker.com and regret my bid on the coin is the highest.Fingers X I get it.

You missed a good example.

You git! I fell for that! :lol:

Over the last few years not seen many go below low estimate at LCA :)

Not having online bidding obviously works for them.

Just out of interest, when will the march results be posted online?

I've not had confirmation back that my bids were received from last nights email despite being told by email that there is a 10 am cut off time today???

Monday morning I believe. I didn't get confirmation back until I emailed a second time a week later, to which Semra just emailed me the word 'received'... Such is her excellent communication skills ;)