British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

coinmerchant

Most Conservative Graders

I know grading coins is a subjective issue. But generally what companies,  Auctioneers and Dealers are the most

Conservative/accurate graders.

Thanks

William

PCGS are the most consistent.

Croydon coins you might want to take their attributions with a grain of salt.

ANACS seem like the most conservative of the lot.

NGC is potluck, I've had coins graded 63 regraded as 65.

Edited by jacinbox

Taking care not to open myself up to libel claims, I must stress that this is only my personal opinion but I found that up to about 10 years ago Spink were always quite conservative in their grading, rarely describing anything as "uncirculated" and more or less anything I bought that they described as EF I would have accepted as Unc. Now, I didn't examine the recent Andy Scott collection coins in person and I know that the catalogue and website pictures were awful, but there were a lot of coins described as "uncirculated" that in the past might possibly have been graded a little lower in my opinion. Steve Hill moved from Spink to Baldwins a few years ago and I have faith in his grading of copper coins. Mark Rasmussen (dealer) has always been very accurate in my experience. There are definitely some well-known dealers who grade a little ambitiously but I'm not going to name anyone here.

Agree that Spink & Mark Rasmussen are fairly strict (nearly as strict as me!) AMR and Studio Coins next best.  

How about Glens in the "good ole days"? Wow, that was conservative...

Croydon, well, caveat emptor!

Spink, I agree.

Mark R. I like, but has recently shown some propensity to dip his silver (not in all cases).

Steve H. & Baldwin I agree...

Croydon are OK in the lesser grades - their Fine is as harsh as mine, but their EF tends to be my VF. 

On 26/02/2016 at 3:08 PM, VickySilver said:

How about Glens in the "good ole days"? Wow, that was conservative...

Croydon, well, caveat emptor!

Spink, I agree.

Mark R. I like, but has recently shown some propensity to dip his silver (not in all cases).

Steve H. & Baldwin I agree...

He hasn't necessarily dipped things. You can only sell what's available to buy and there is a lot of dipped material in the market.

True, but sometimes an apparent pattern seems to mitigate toward the former. And I say this in the best possible way as with his help I have gotten some nearly impossible pieces at fair prices.

LCA seem quite conservative. For example, much of the material they class as "fine", I'd class as "very fine". 

I think they're getting more accurate with time as they gradually progress in size and importance towards the "senior" auction houses. It wasn't so long ago they their catalogues were just just printed lists but now they rival the biggies and their photographs now surpass Spink. If they would only join the internet bidding world they could even become the best, and their fees are without doubt the best.

• Like 1

"Accurate" and "Conservative" are different concepts in grading

I am happy with conservative or accurate grading as both sit the right side of the fence.

Best to grade yourself, that way if it's overgraded and therefor expensive You only have yourself to blame, or if you're selling something on ebay just don't mention a grade, let the buyer decide with good pictures. It's a whole can of worms.

• Like 2

I picked up a couple of 1957 Halfcrowns recently, one off Pete and the other off ebay but they offer a good comparison on grading from CGS and NGC:

CGS 82

1957-hc.jpg

NGC MS 64:

1957-halfcrown-2.jpg

Well I know which one I prefer Paul.

No contest really but it just shows the difference between the two given that MS64 is covered by CGS 78 to 82.

Although I have seen some NCG64 coins that are crazy nice!

The inconsistency bothers me (across the board), but I guess it's inevitable at the top end, trouble is it can involve a lot of money ...

The Modern Elizabeth half crowns can be challenge to grade. GEMS are not as easy to find as one might think. 

On 08/04/2016 at 0:48 AM, coinkat said:

The Modern Elizabeth half crowns can be challenge to grade. GEMS are not as easy to find as one might think. 

That's why it's a series I am looking to complete.