British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

How do I grade this?

Angolan 40 reis, 1757. Larger images here:  https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxBRenK8v0n-d291UUdKdU5zRHc&usp=sharing

How do I go about grading something when I have no idea what it would have looked like when minted? I have no way of judging the level of wear. All I know is that I can find very few similar examples on t'interweb, and none as good as this one. ø40mm, if that helps?

Any assistance gratefully received!

Cheers,

MBE

DSCF7531.JPG

DSCF7532.JPG

Edited by mrbadexample

As you say, it's quite difficult without a yardstick to compare against. But if I had to venture a guess, I'd say VF to GVF. Somewhere in that ballpark. 

I'm hopeless at grading, but looks a beautiful coin for its age with just a bit of wear.

My first thought was VF. Mostly because of the flowers *X*L* - the one on the left has a centre clearly visible. I think it's reasonable to assume that the others did too, so there's probably a fair amount of wear, therefore probably well past EF. Got to be better than fine though, methinks.

It's not remotely in the area I collect but it has some sentimental value as it was passed to me from a late uncle's estate so I'm hanging on to it. It's quite a handsome piece I think.

MBE, the other forum you have asked on this subject have given you answers based on their experience of world coins, and more specifically coins of this type.

Predecimal is the go to site for GB coinage. Respect other sites for their unique knowledge 

• Like 1

Something wrong with seeking a second opinion bagerap? On the other site I was told EF or EF/UNC. Quite simply, I don't believe that, so I thought I'd ask here. The more opinions I get, the closer I get to an answer, and the more I learn. I don't need to be told to respect people's knowledge, thank you - I have done nothing disrespectful on this site or the other.

Incidentally, the question I asked was how to go about grading it, not what grade it was. I'd like to know how you attempt to grade a coin when you don't have others to compare to.

Edited by mrbadexample

No offence meant MBE, although I hadn't quite grasped your intent. I used to deal extensively in African coinage and looking back on the records, it seems I've never handled one of these in any condition. One way to grade it is to find a good example of the Brazil 40 reis of 1753 which has the same design or there is an uncirculated 1781 40 reis in the Mountain Groan Collection, which should be googleable (is that a word?)

• Like 1

Apologies bagerap, my response was a little short, and thanks for taking the time to dig out a similar item. :) What's the Mountain Groan collection? I've never heard of it.  

Again, comparing the flowers by the date makes me think mine has a good degree of wear, which is partly why I was dubious of the suggested grade given on the other site. I've only managed to find a couple of other examples, this one,  which is more worn than mine: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces53250.html (I think the reverse is upside down?) and one on ebay listed as Brazilian and heavily pitted. I can't find that one now though.

The Mountain Groan Collection is in the words of Coinwiki "more noted for quantity than quality". But if you ever need a picture of a coin, it's likely to be there.

Grading on your coin has to be slightly subjective. Low face value coins seem to have to work harder in Africa for some reason, and I'd guess that yours has to be in the top 5% of the existing population.

One of the things I like about mine is that it has escaped the countermarking that so many similar coins have been subjected to. The one that got away, almost. :)

It appears that the countermark was for use in Brasil, at least that's where they turn up.

5 hours ago, bagerap said:

See the difference to the one posted by MBE. The one pictured here is possibly GEF. 

Yup, all just a bit sharper, isn't it?

• Like 1