British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Benny who

Coin Image in B.S.C.

I was hoping for a little help with a coin I purchased.I have a George III Crown, CGS 7741,which was originally sold as part of the Peter J Davies collection through LCA 124 lot 1135.

The coin looks like the 1819 Crown on page 31 of the book,however cannot be sure.I was just wondering if Peter is a member on here or if anyone could ask him.          

I do have occasional contact with him, so I'll pass on your question if you like.

Edited by DaveG38

Just had a peek on CGS, looks like rather a scarce variety! :)

11 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

I do have occasional contact with him, so I'll pass on your question if you like.

Thanks that would be great,the book shows that the date positioning is similar, however there is not enough detail to confirm that it is,and to be honest I didn't know what else to do.     

11 hours ago, Paulus said:

Just had a peek on CGS, looks like rather a scarce variety! :)

Really pleased with it.I think it is an untouched 1818 Rev.Most of the 1819 had the Q re-punched to make them thicker,so it is always worth checking the QUI to see if the small tail is still visible.      

4 hours ago, Benny who said:

Thanks that would be great,the book shows that the date positioning is similar, however there is not enough detail to confirm that it is,and to be honest I didn't know what else to do.     

Really pleased with it.I think it is an untouched 1818 Rev.Most of the 1819 had the Q re-punched to make them thicker,so it is always worth checking the QUI to see if the small tail is still visible.      

I've just received an email back from Peter and he has confirmed that the coin in the BSC book is NOT the one sold as Lot 1135 in LCA auction 124. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to help,it's a shame that it wasn't,the provenance would have been great.

For some reason over the last year to 18 Months,I have been researching where my coins have come from,rather than trying to just buy the first pieces I have seen.