British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

SWANNY

Finest Known

How did this coin get finest known , surely these are loads better !

1920fn.jpg

Edited by SWANNY
pic missing

Its CGS ......Variety 4.......... Swanny.

I dont have a clue about them but assume this is scarcer than the other 1920 Half crowns ?.

Doesnt look the most attractive reverse :D

• Like 1

I would have thought CGS would have refused to grade it in this condition. I have seen better coins get rejected

As its variety 4 I take it, it must be rocking horse....

• Like 1

'Finest known' is marketing hype based on a selective database. All the TPGs have finest knowns, but they are from mutually exclusive databases unless a coin has been crossed. Therefore, finest known usually falls flat on its face when you take all known examples into consideration. This is merely the numismatic version of lies, damned lies and statistics. Do your own homework.

Yes see my 1920 halfcrown upgrade post  its heaps better than this one.

Just now, ozjohn said:

I had a look at your upgrade, and its miles better than this example (congrats)

PS I would not submit my coins to CGS if they were the last grading service on earth. They are rubbish entirely devoted to their commercial interests via London Coins. Various people on this forum suggest submitting coins to these people for ascertaining that they are not fakes etc. without any proof as to their expertise in this area. I would treat their pronouncements with caution as I would with their grading.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you John. I used to buy CGS slabbed coins , but after seeing some of their grading's on various coins, I would only buy if I had the coin in my hand

LOL. I am always absolutely stunned! How on earth can anybody think that TPG's „finest known“ means that this is the best example in the world???? I do not get it. No one even knows how many exaples of particular coin even survived. Obviously this means finest known from examples they graded. Computer automatically attributes „finest known“ or „joint finest“ to the highest graded example(s). I think it is up to the intelect of each coin collector to decide how he/she uses this information. If the relatively common coin is finest known from 15 examples then it means absolutly nothing and only stupid person would pay premium for such a coin. On the other hand, if there hundreds already graded, it can give you idea how scarce the coin is in particular grade and it can affect it's value accordingly. For example – decimal twenty pence undated mule: current population 704 (single finest known grade 88, 4 joint second finest grade 85, 13 graded 82, but for example 275 graded 65) – consequently examples in grade 65 noramlly sell in auctions for about £44,- , in grade 82 between £150,- and £230,-, 85 sold for £304,- and the finest known in grade 88 sold in June 2012 for £490,-. There was time when there were 2 or 3 exapmles in population report and the finest know was graded 65. I think it's typical that collectors who don't send coins for grading are shouting the most that there is not enough coins in population report :-).

4 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Forget finest known.........we all Know it means nothing :)

What i meant john is CGS have graded to date FOUR different types /varieties of 1920 Half crowns.

Some of the others are graded a lot higher and would assume a lot nicer ....i would hope so .

Weather you would use CGS or not is your choice :)

Is yours just the standard one ,if there is such a thing as i doubt many other TPG notice different types.

Although i maybe/probably .......... wrong :D

I dont want to get involved and just giving an opinion,however can i ask how many you have sent them ?

If the answer is none then to say they are rubbish might be a little unfair.

Pete.

• Like 1

I sent ONE to them to be graded , and it was my last.

I see London Coins are arranging a PCGS grading week on 21-25 March , Thinking about send a coin to see how well they grade

Which is why i said Swanny its an opinion ,i have sent over a hundred pennies and will send a few more this week :)

Another of CGS "finest" graded at 75 listed on Ebay   a 1925 florin http://www.coingradingservices.co.uk/img.php?u=0034282&f=o&s=f . How this qualifies for this grade I do not know.

Wear on the ear, beard and cheekbone with horrible toning on the obverse of which I do not know wasn't rejected on by CGS. However the reverse is better but still with the horrible

uneven toning. I don't know about CGS but lustre and eye appeal are part of the PGS grading procedure.

Do you have the eBay link ozjohn? The CGS link you have posted is not a finest known, it is 10 out of 18, and was previously graded by NGC as AU58, which I agree looks more realistic from the pics alone

The finest was in inverted commas and more a dig at CGS' inconsistent grading.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1925-George-V-Silver-Florin-Scarce-CGS-75-/252206534010?hash=item3ab8ae4d7a:g:ZPYAAOSwbdpWaIki. I'm not having a go at the seller as that's his business to sell coins. However it does show how the price is elevated once a coin has been graded. Which just goes to show buy the coin not the grading.

Totally with you oz, buy the coin not the slab, and largely ignore the population stats, always :) At the moment on balance slabbed coins certainly fetch a premium, that's for sure

I agree with both of you, although if you are wanting a slabbed coin then it certainly should warrant at least the premium of having the coin slabbed, i.e shipping both ways and the cost of slabbing, which if you just sent 1 coin would be almost £34. Obviously that doesn't mean it warrants buying something like a 1964 shilling with a £34 premium on top just because it's slabbed :D 

I think the term "finest known" is simply misleading and "finest graded by ..." is a lot more accurate. Having said that as (Mike as pointed out), it's meaningless unless a sufficient number of coins have been graded.

I suppose they can do worse and call coins with a population report "1 of 1" as the "only example known". ;)

Well, better than "worst known". On some rare coins, esp. USA it probably holds a lot more meaning...Maybe some coins like the 1850 shilling or 1851 proof florin might come a bit closer.

On 21/02/2016 at 5:40 PM, SWANNY said:

I sent ONE to them to be graded , and it was my last.

I see London Coins are arranging a PCGS grading week on 21-25 March , Thinking about send a coin to see how well they grade

Do you have any details about this event as I've not been able to find it.

Thanks Gary

Yes it's the London Coin Company, not London Coins, who are linked with CGS (to say the least) (not PCGS)

The 2 companies and the 2 TPGs, are VERY similarly named