British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
mrbadexample

Wreath crown advice please

1 hour ago, IanB said:

Does the use of high magnification actually prevent us from buying coins that in reality are perfectly acceptable?

I think probably yes. When cataloging my farthings I lowered my opinion of the grade of quite a few of them. Have the coins changed? Nope. I never considered myself a generous grader either (although some of you on here are downright mean :P ) but the ability to see so much closer made me rethink. 

As for the penny, sorry, it's rather nice. :) As for the set, I'm still undecided. My initial reaction was a bit of panic, but I keep having another look. And another look. 

Put them away for a day or two and then come back to them with fresh eyes.

Edited by IanB

It really is difficult to be certain from photos, and as Ian says grading by microscope can be useful in circumstances but inevitably will be a bit harsher. If you grade all your coins by microscope you will soon be left with a very small collection :D

After all that, I'm keeping it. :rolleyes:

Now, I need another wreath crown. This one's lonely. :D

Can we have some pictures please

They sure are pretty. They make my bits of bronze look like the poor relation.

• Like 1

Most say 5x to 10x, erring toward the former.

Not my thing ,but why Jon Whats wrong with it ?.

I would not really have a clue ,but looks ok to me :)

I'm not really sure Pete, might be just his lighting. Texture maybe seems a bit granular?

There's a lot of Chinese copies of these around, if you were considering it (personally I wouldn't, low on eye appeal and grade), you would certainly want to know the weight (which should be 28.3g).

It wouldn't look all that majestic alongside your 1927 example (which is a bit unfair I know, your 1927 being a very high grade proof!)

Edited by Paulus

No, I wasn't thinking of buying that one, but I would like to know how to spot a fake. ;)

I wasnt looking at it from a buying point of view.

Just thought it looked OK.

It can be difficult going by pics alone, unless you have pics of a known fake with the same post production digs, edge knocks, dings, etc

Al lot of the modern Chinese ones from the likes of Ali Express are the wrong weight (being made with no silver, or the wrong silver alloy). Ali Express sell them clearly as copies but some of them are pretty good at first glance. Many I have seen are mid grade (like this one) and have a dull brown tone, but of course that is not conclusive.

It's a problem.